Skip to main content

differential equations - NDSolveValue. x cannot be used as a variable


Im trying to solve an electrocinetic problem that is supposed to be very easy. I only need a region and some DirichletCondition, adn then solve the Lagrange equation. Here you've got the program.


Needs["NDSolve`FEM`"]
Clear[Rint, Rext, vint, vext, x, y, u, uif, e0, o1, o2, o]
Rint = 2;
Rext = 4;
vint = 1;
vext = 0;

o1 = Disk[{0, 0}, Rext];

o2 = RegionDifference[o1, Disk[{0, 0}, Rint]];
o = RegionDifference[o2, Rectangle[{-Rext, -Rext}, {Rext, 0}]];

CC = {
DirichletCondition[u[x, y] == vext, Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] == Rext],
DirichletCondition[u[x, y] == vint, Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] == Rint]
};

uif = NDSolveValue[{Lagrangian[u[x, y], {x, y}] == 0, CC},
u, {x, y} \[Epsilon] o,

Method -> {"FiniteElement",
"MeshOptions" -> {MaxCellMeasure -> 0.001}}];

Then, this message appears:


NDSolveValue::dsvar: x \[Epsilon] BooleanRegion[#1&&!#2&&!#3&,{Disk[{0,0},4],Disk[{0,0},2],Rectangle[{-4,-4},{4,0}]}] cannot be used as a variable.

I can't undestand why this happens, as I have a model program very similar to this one as an example.



Answer



The syntax for region membership is {x, y} \[Element] o, not \[Epsilon], which look very similar:


{x, y} \[Element] o

{x, y} \[Epsilon] o

Mathematica graphics


Unless \[Epsilon] has a definition, it will show up blue instead of black. (The error message is not complaining about x but about the whole expression.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...