Skip to main content

equation solving - Inequality involving Abs[]


Mathematica fails to do anything with


Reduce[Abs[x-3]<4, Reals]
(* Reduce[Abs[x-3]<4, Reals] *)

This answer contends that explicitly naming the variables to be reduced will solve the problem, and indeed


Reduce[Abs[x-3]<4, x, Reals]
(* -1 < x < 7 *)


But why is this the case? If either the absolute value is removed, or the < is changed to =, it is not necessary to provide the variable name.



Answer



After some back and forth with WRI, here is the answer: the domain restriction in Reduce[] applies to the specified variables and functions involving those variables. Since no variables are specified in my first example, the domain restriction effectively does nothing. That also explains why using {} does not solve the problem.


EDIT: After reading @Michael's comment below, I had more interactions with Wolfram support, and I am still somewhat confused. From WRI:




From Reduce documentation:


"Algebraic variables in expr free of the Subscript[x, i] and of each other are treated as independent parameters."


Since no Subscript[x, i] are specified, Reduce solves for the algebraic-level variables that are free of other algebraic-level variables.


In[1]:= Reduce`FreeVariables[x^2<4, "Algebraic"]

Out[1]= {x}

In[2]:= Reduce`FreeVariables[Abs[x-3]<4 && x\[Element]Reals, "Algebraic"]
Out[2]= {x}

In[3]:= Reduce`FreeVariables[Abs[x-3]<4, "Algebraic"]
Out[3]= {Abs[-3 + x]}

In[4]:= Reduce`FreeVariables[Re[x] > 0, "Algebraic"]
Out[4]= {Re[x]}


I guess the point is that x appears "algebraically" only in the first example; in the other examples it is the Abs or Re expression that is the "algebraic-level" variable.


This is still pretty unclear to me at a conceptual level (although I now know how to get the results I want), but I'm not sure what further questions to ask to clarify the situation. BTW, Reduce``FreeVariables is not documented.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...