Skip to main content

interpolation - Extracting the function from InterpolatingFunction object



I've used Interpolation[] to generate an InterpolatingFunction object from a list of integers.


f = Interpolation[{2, 5, 9, 15, 22, 33, 50, 70, 100, 145, 200, 280, 375, 495, 635, 800,
1000, 1300, 1600, 2000, 2450, 3050, 3750, 4600, 5650, 6950}]

I'm using that to generate values like f[27], f[28], ...


Is there any way to print or show the function used by Mathematica that produced the result of f[27]?



Answer



Here is the example from the documentation adapted for the OP's data:


data = MapIndexed[
Flatten[{#2, #1}] &,

{2, 5, 9, 15, 22, 33, 50, 70, 100, 145, 200, 280, 375, 495, 635, 800,
1000, 1300, 1600, 2000, 2450, 3050, 3750, 4600, 5650, 6950}];
f = Interpolation@data


(* InterpolatingFunction[{{1, 26}}, <>] *)

pwf = Piecewise[
Map[{InterpolatingPolynomial[#, x], x < #[[3, 1]]} &, Most[#]],
InterpolatingPolynomial[Last@#, x]] &@Partition[data, 4, 1];


Here is a comparison of the piecewise interpolating polynomials and the interpolating function:


Plot[f[x] - pwf, {x, 1, 28}, PlotRange -> All]

Mathematica graphics


The values of f[27] and f[28] are beyond the domain, which is 1 <= x <= 26, and extrapolation is used. The formula for extrapolation is given by the last InterpolatingPolynomial in pwf:


Last@pwf
(* 3750 + (850 + (100 + 25/3 (-25 + x)) (-24 + x)) (-23 + x) *)




In response to a comment: The error in the plot has to do with round-off error. Apparently the calculation done by InterpolatingFunction, while algebraically equivalent, is not numerically identical. The error was greatest above in the domain 26 < x < 28 where extrapolation is performed. With arbitrary precision, the error is zero, as shown below.


Plot[f[x] - pwf, {x, 1, 28}, PlotRange -> All, 
WorkingPrecision -> $MachinePrecision, Exclusions -> None, PlotStyle -> Red]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...