Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Evaluating a surface integral


I'm trying to compute the integral $$\int_S x^2+z^2\,{\rm d}S,$$where $S$ is the surface $$S\colon~ \frac{x^2}{2} + \frac{y^2}{3} + \frac{z^2}{2} = 1, \quad y \geq 0.$$


One possible parametrization is: $${\bf x}(u,v) = (\sqrt{2} \cos u \cos v, \sqrt{3} \cos u \sin v, \sqrt{2}\sin u),$$ with $-\frac \pi 2 \leq u \leq \frac \pi 2, 0 \leq v \leq \pi$. Then I make:


X[u_,v_] :=  {Sqrt[2] Cos[u] Cos[v], Sqrt[3] Cos[u] Sin[v], Sqrt[2] Sin[u]}


f[{x_, y_, z_}] := x^2 + z^2

Integrate[f[X[u, v]] Norm[Cross[D[X[u, v], u], D[X[u, v], v]]], {u, -π/2, π/2}, {v, 0 , π}]

but Mathematica just won't compute it (keeps running on and on). What is an efficient way to do this? Thanks.



Answer



Solution with NIntegrate


NIntegrate[f[X[u, v]] Norm[Cross[D[X[u, v], u], D[X[u, v], v]]], {u, -π/2, π/2}, {v, 0, π}]
(* 19.8097 *)


An alternative approach to the problem is


s = ImplicitRegion[{x^2/2 + y^2/3 + z^2/2 == 1 && y > 0}, {x, y, z}];
Chop[NIntegrate[x^2 + z^2, {x, y, z} ∈ s], 10^-7]

which, of course, yields the same answer.


Added: Solution with Integrate


Consider the calculation in cylindrical coordinates with the axis along y. Integrating about the axis of symmetry then leaves the integral of 2 π r^3 over the 1D region,


s1 = ImplicitRegion[{r^2/2 + y^2/3 == 1 && r > 0 && y > 0}, {r, y}];
2 Ï€ Integrate[r^3, {r, y} ∈ s1]
(* 1/2 π (10 + 3 Sqrt[2] ArcCot[Sqrt[2]]) *)


with the numerical value given earlier.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...