Skip to main content

evaluation - Order of operations, precedence in Mathematica




I get confused in the order of operations in Mathematica. For example,


f /@ 10^{1, 2, 3}
{10, 100, 1000}

In my head, that should be


{f[10], f[100], f[1000]}

After using FullForm, I see that my command should be regarded as : (f /@ 10)^{1, 2, 3}. In fact, () is not often used in Mathematica code, and I'm always not sure about the order of the expression evaluation. And I can't find the information about this order.


For example, in C: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations



On MathWorld, it is just the basic : http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Precedence.html




  1. Parenthesization,




  2. Factorial,




  3. Exponentiation,





  4. Multiplication and division,




  5. Addition and subtraction.




Another example: let look at the order of this:


x + x /. x -> y

2 y

x + (x /. x -> y)
x + y

And it takes time to understand this:


x + y /. x -> 1 + y + x /. x -> 5
6 + 2 y

Without the order of operations, one can get confused by interpret this expression, and of course, we can use ().



((x + y) /. x -> 1) +(( y + x) /. x -> 5)  
x + y /. x -> (1 + y + x) /. x -> 5

Another example, one can get confused:


Cases[{1, 2, 3}, _?#1 < 2 &]

or


Cases[{1, 2, 3}, _?(#1 < 2) &]

or



Cases[{1, 2, 3}, _?(#1 < 2 &)]

Another examples, which one & or /. is more privileged ?


x /. x -> y + #1 &

x + #1 & /. x -> y

I really appreciate any rule of thumbs or a guide of the operation ordered: /@, @@, _?, /., ->,& ...



Answer



You can check the precedence using Precedence. So for you first example it works that way because Precedence[Power] < Precedence[Map]. You have furthermore that Precedence[Function] < Precedence[ReplaceAll] for one of your later queries.



When you get confused and need to tell what the precedence is the fastest way though is to use FullForm and Hold. There are variations of this, I forget which one is considered best practice, but it works like this:


FullForm[Hold[f /@ 10^{1, 2, 3}]]
(* Out: Hold[Power[Map[f,10],List[1,2,3]]] *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...