Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Variable integration limits over real numbers only



I have a simple question regarding this code:


Maximize[{Integrate[1/(10 - e)
Integrate[((x - 5)/(10 - 5))^(9)*5/x, {x, 5, y}]
, {y, e, 10}], e >= 0, e <= 10}, e]

I get the following error message: "Unable to prove that integration limits {10,e} are real. Adding assumptions may help." I tried some things already mentioned in other questions, but I didn't get it to work. Any tips?



Answer



Adding Assumptions -> y > 0 in the outer-most integral gives



Maximize[{Integrate[1/(10 - e)
Integrate[((x - 5)/(10 - 5))^(9)*5/x, {x, 5, y}]
, {y, e, 10}, Assumptions -> y > 0], 0 <= e <= 10}, e] // Simplify


{1879/504 - Log[32], {e -> 0}}



N @ %



{0.262439, {e -> 0.}}



although with warnings:



Integrate::pwrl: "Unable to prove that integration limits {10,e} are real. Adding assumptions may help.



and



Maximize::wksol: Warning: there is no maximum in the region in which the objective function is defined and the constraints are satisfied; a result on the boundary will be returned.




Let's investigate the procedure step by step:




First, compute the inner integral


f[y_] = Normal[Integrate[(((x - 5)/(10 - 5))^9*5)/x, {x, 5, y}]]

enter image description here


Without Normal, it's a ConditionalExpression with y>0. So, taking it into account in the outer integral:


g[e_] = Integrate[f[y]/
(10 - e), {y, e, 10}, Assumptions -> y > 0 && 0 < e < 10]


enter image description here


where without 0 < e < 10 it is also a ConditionalExpression with this condition.


For visual inspection


Plot[g[e], {e, 0, 10}]

enter image description here


hence the maximum might indeed be at e = 0 (or e = 10), but g[0] yields Indeterminate (g[10] yields ComplexInfinity), so


Limit[g[e], e -> 0]
Limit[g[e], e -> 10]



1879/504 - 5 Log[2]


1879/504 - 5 Log[2]



So the function does not have a local maximum in 0 < e < 10; it reaches its (finite) maximal values only asymptotically at the boundaries of the interval.


So, wrapping it up, this


Maximize[{Integrate[1/(10 - e)
Integrate[((x - 5)/(10 - 5))^(9)*5/x, {x, 5, y}]
, {y, e, 10}, Assumptions -> y > 0 && 0 < e < 10],
0 <= e <= 10}, e] // Simplify


gives the proper answer, with a warning due to the limit. Constraining e to 9 <= e <= 10 in the last expression confirms that at e->0 and e->10 the expression yields the same value.




Additionally,


Minimize[{Integrate[1/(10 - e)
Integrate[((x - 5)/(10 - 5))^(9)*5/x, {x, 5, y}]
, {y, e, 10}, Assumptions -> y > 0 && 0 < e < 10],
0 <= e <= 10}, e] // N



{0.0156124, {e -> 1.76903}}



without warnings (without N the output is a complicated and uninsightful Root expression).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...