Skip to main content

programming - How can I make CurrentValue for font characteristics pick up the font of the output not the input cell?


The command CurrentValue (documentation) allows you to access various properties of fonts, such as x-height, line height, and various measures of width such as n-width and m-width. This has obvious applications in determining appropriate sizes of objects so that the text contained within them fits.


However it is not obvious how to pick up the characteristics of the font of styled output. For example, the following uses the width of the font in the input cell, not the selected style in the code (example adopted from this question).


 Framed @ Graphics[Text[
Style["how quickly daft jumping zebras vex",
FontFamily -> "Verdana", FontSize -> 20]],

ImageSize -> CurrentValue["FontNWidth"]*35]

enter image description here


If I select the whole input cell (by its bracket, not just the text) and change the font, it works better, although of course "FontNWidth" is not a perfect indicator of actual width of characters:


enter image description here


How can I concisely get the CurrentValue dimensions from an arbitrarily chosen font?



Answer



You could do something like


{Framed@Graphics[
Text[Style[DynamicWrapper["how quickly daft jumping zebras vex",

p = CurrentValue["FontNWidth"]], FontFamily -> "Verdana",
FontSize -> 20]], ImageSize -> Dynamic[p]*35], Dynamic[p]}

Mathematica graphics


This code demonstrates that the font chosen for the styled output is definitely being picked up by CurrentValue.


Manipulate[{Framed@
Graphics[
Text[Style[
DynamicWrapper["how quickly daft jumping zebras vex",
p = CurrentValue["FontNWidth"]], FontFamily -> fontfam,

FontSize -> i]], ImageSize -> Dynamic[p]*42], Dynamic[p]}, {i,
10, 40}, {fontfam, {"Verdana", "Arial", "TimesNewRoman", "Tahoma"}}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...