Skip to main content

list manipulation - Filtering beat-to-beat heart rate data


From an experiment, I have a dataset of beat-to-beat heart rate data: a list of the time between each heart beat in [ms]. The data is measured using an infrared optic sensor at the finger tip. The sensor frequently misinterprets a slight movement of the finger as an heart beat. Data therefore often looks somewhat like this:


{1000, 1000, 1000, 1000, 500, 500, 1000, 1000, 1000, 600, 400, 1000}

In this example, one can easily see that the 5th and 6th element should be one; same for the 10th and 11th. However, in real life the data looks more like this:


data = {981, 870, 1099, 1105, 650, 397, 920, 917, 1015, 1085, 210, 344, 457,
950}


where the 5-6 (650, 397) and 11-12-13 (210, 344, 457) should be taken together. It is easy to just delete the incorrect data by using something like:


DeleteCases[data,
x_ /; x < Mean[data] - StandardDeviation[data] ||
x > Mean[data] + StandardDeviation[data]]

...but I want to make a function that recognizes when multiple elements should be added to one.


One could just add every two, three or four (=length) elements and select the Cases where the result lies (for example) in the range Mean[data]±StandardDeviation[data]:


length = 2;
Position[Total[data[[# ;; # + length]]] & /@
Range[Length[data] - length],

x_ /; x > Mean[data] - StandardDeviation[data] &&
x < Mean[data] + StandardDeviation[data]]

Result:


{{5}, {11}, {12}}

This gives me an idea of where the incorrect data is. Unfortunately, after having this result, I don't know what to do with it... For example, I get confused by the fact that elements 11-12-13 return 2 cases of incorrect data when I use length=1. And maybe there are more (simple) ways to filter this data.


Question: can anyone give me a kick-start?


Edit: You can download an example of actual data here. Just Flatten[Import[filename,"Table"]]




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?