Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Calculation of an integral with a Bessel function


How can I calculate below integral? Is it possible to calculate it in Mathematica? If yes, how? Am I doing something wrong?


Integrate[BesselJ[1, q x] x /(x^2 + a^2)^(5/2), {x, a, Infinity}]

Answer




It seems that for some values of $a$ greater for some value, the integral value is complex. I have done the following:


$\int_a^\infty \frac{x J_1(q x)}{(x^2+a^2)^{5/2}}dx=\int_0^\infty \frac{x J_1(q x)}{(x^2+a^2)^{5/2}}dx-\int_0^a \frac{x J_1(q x)}{(x^2+a^2)^{5/2}}dx$


The first term is a Hankel transform of order 1, the other can be done substituting the Bessel function by its series equivalent. Thus:


HankelTransform[1/(x^2 + a^2)^(5/2), x, q, 1]

$\frac{8 G_{3,1}^{1,2}\left(\frac{4}{q^2 a^2}| \begin{array}{c} -\frac{3}{2},-\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2} \\ 0 \\ \end{array} \right)}{3 \sqrt{\pi } \left(a^2\right)^{5/2} q^2}$


and


Assuming[a > 0 && a \[Element] Reals && m \[Element] Integers && m >= 0, 
Integrate[(q x)^(2 (m + 1)) (-1)^m/(2^(2 m + 1) Gamma[m + 2] m! (x^2 + a^2)^(5/2)), {x, 0, a}]]


with finaly:


$\sum _{m=0}^{\infty } \frac{i 2^{-2 (m+2)} q^{2 (m+1)} (-a)^{2 (m-1)} \left((4 m (4 m+5)-1) B_{-1}\left(m+\frac{3}{2},\frac{1}{2}\right)-2 (m+2) (4 m-1) B_{-1}\left(m+\frac{3}{2},\frac{3}{2}\right)\right)}{3 m! \Gamma (m+2)}$


Plotting the real part of their difference, with $m=80$ and $q=1$:


enter image description here enter image description here


which agrees with the other approaches.


You can modify the value of $m$ to the required accuracy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...