Skip to main content

Why does args symbol exist in a fresh kernel?


In fresh kernel Mathematica 11.3 (Linux) asking for args (similarly for dims) I obtain


    ??args 



Global`args

As far as I remember similar problem we had in 10.x with the symbol z


See



Seems like Global context is again polluted with args and dims as is confirmed by Names["Global`*"]



Answer



It's a type of otherwise harmless bug that tends to come and go with versions. I would suggest to report it to Wolfram, but also not to worry about it. Notice that the symbols have no associated definitions, which means that they will not interfere with your code.





A potential way in which such a situation can arise is the following. Imagine you put


Sqr[x_] := x^2

in your $UserBaseDirectory/Kernel/init.m file. It will cause not only Sqr to be created in the Global` context, but also x, which is easy to overlook. This is completely harmless though, and will not interfere with any x symbol you might use in your session.




A case that is a bit more realistic, and better shows why these bugs tend to occur regularly, is illustrated e.g. by my MaTeX package. Take a look at the Kernel/init.m file of MaTeX, which does follow the standard package structure. In the simplest case, this file would only contain Get["MaTeX`MaTeX`"]. In this case, I chose to include a few extra checks, as well as unprotect/protect symbols. Notice, however, that only System` context symbols appear in this file. If I as much as mentioned any other symbol, it would be created in Global` because at the time when the context init.m is evaluated, BeginPackage may not have yet been reached or EndPackage[] may have been passed already.


Consider e.g. how we can set Protected and ReadProtected on all symbols of a package called MyPack after EndPackage[]. A simple way is


With[{symbols = Names["MyPack`*"]},
SetAttributes[symbols, {Protected, ReadProtected}]

]

However, this would create Global`symbols. Therefore in MaTeX I opted for the following, perhaps slightly less clear construct:


SetAttributes[
Evaluate@Names["MyPack`*"],
{Protected, ReadProtected}
]

Notice that this second version avoid mentioning any non-System symbols, therefore it will not pollute the Global context.


Subtle points like this are very easy to overlook.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...