Skip to main content

parsing - How to get the longest bracket pairs from a string


In C#, we can use regular expression to do some balancing groups, like we can get


{  aa>, <a>}

from


"xx   aa> yy<a>"

using the regular expression


<((?<)|(?<-gro>>)|[^<>])*(?(gro)(?!))>


We can get the syntax coloring with for instance RegexBuddy:



How to realize this in Mathematica?


I prefer using regular expression to do this, but Mathematica just supports some basic usage in regular expressions, and doesn't support advanced usage such as dynamic regular expression and balancing groups.


PS: Another example: how to get {[ab*[c]d], (b(x99))} from "dd9[ab*[c]d]esiddx(45x(b(x99))"?



Answer



First Case


str = "xx   aa> yy<a>";
StringCases[str,
RegularExpression["(?P<([^<>]|(?P>a))*>)"]

]
(* {" aa>", "<a>"} *)

This works as follows:




Second Case


str2 = "dd9[ab*[c]d]esiddx(45x(b(x99))"
StringCases[str2,
RegularExpression["(?P
(\\[|\\()([^\\[\\]\\(\\)]|(?P>a))*(\\]|\\)))"]
]
(* {"[ab*[c]d]", "(b(x99))"} *)

This works as above. Here, instead of < at the beginning of the (sub)string, we allow for [ or ( with (\\[|\\(). The other modifications are in line with this change.


Note that this regular expression may not be satisfying for cases such as


str3 = "dd9[ab*[c]d)esiddx(45x(b(x99))";

(* The square bracket after d is replaced by a parenthesis. *)

StringCases[str3,
RegularExpression["(?P
(\\[|\\()([^\\[\\]\\(\\)]|(?P>a))*(\\]|\\)))"]
]
(* {"[ab*[c]d)", "(b(x99))"} *)

The first element starts with a [ and ends with ). This can be avoided by adding a pattern and a condition test on this pattern:


StringCases[str3, 
RegularExpression["(?P
((?P\\[)|\\()([^\\[\\]\\(\\)]|(?P>a))*(?(b)\\]|\\)))"]

]
(* {"[c]", "(b(x99))"} *)

The starting [ is referred to as b. The pattern (?(b)\\]|\\)) tells us that if b had a match, then the character to match should be ], or otherwise ).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...