Skip to main content

Is it possible to add some pattern to $Assumptions


I apologize if it is a too elementary question but I could not find the appropriate documentation so far.



My goal is simple. I would like to add some assumptions that are defined in terms of patterns rather than symbols. For example, I would like to something like this


$Assumptions = { a[ ___ ] > 0 };  

In my ideal world, this should set every expression with the Head a should be considered positive. Is it possible in Mathematica?


EDIT: Thanks. Following the first comment and the first answer, I did the following experiment. I still got puzzled about the result. Maybe it is just because of the intricate interaction between Integrate and $Assumptions.


$Assumptions = {A[___] > 0, B > 0};

Integrate[ Exp[ - A[x] t] , {t, 0, \[Infinity]}]
Integrate[ Exp[ - B t] , {t, 0, \[Infinity]}]
(* output *)

ConditionalExpression[1/A[x], Re[A[x]] > 0]
1/B

In this example, Integrate does not make use of the fact A[___]>0.



Answer



This is correct; you can also use the following forms, which are generally considered better suited to functional-programming style (in that you don't change the variables globally, just locally):


Block[
{$Assumptions = (a[___] > 0)},
code]


or, better yet,


Assuming[
a[___] > 0,
code]

Edit:


(In respond to the OP's code sample) I'm a bit surprised that the code treats A[x] and B differently, but the problem seems to come from an assumption that A[x] could be a complex number. This can be fixed with an additional assumption (also pointed out by march):


Assuming[
{A[___] > 0, B > 0, A[___] \[Element] Reals},
{Integrate[Exp[-A[x] t], {t, 0, \[Infinity]}],

Integrate[Exp[-B t], {t, 0, \[Infinity]}]}]


{1/A[x], 1/B}



I would be interested to hear if anyone else knows why A[x] and B are treated differently by the integration system. I initially thought it might be the assumption that x is a variable, but this example is slightly more illustrative:


Assuming[
{c[___] > 0, c[x] > 0, f > 0},
{Integrate[Exp[-c[1]*t], {t, 0, \[Infinity]}],
Integrate[Exp[-c[x]*t], {t, 0, \[Infinity]}],

Integrate[Exp[-f*t], {t, 0, \[Infinity]}]}]


{ConditionalExpression[1/c[1], Re[c[1]] > 0], 1/c[x], 1/f}



It seems to me that assumptions containing patterns are treated differently than explicit assumptions, yet it is clear from my previous example (with A[___] \[Element] Reals) that assumptions with patterns are not just being ignored.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...