Skip to main content

combining and comparing lists


I have 2 lists (of lists), where most of the contained lists match. That is, the lists contained in list1 mostly match the lists contained in list2. In this simplified example each of the inner lists has 3 elements. When a sub list of list1 and a sublist of list2 have their 1st 2 values the same, I want to compare the 3rd value. I have another list, "problems", that contains the first 2 elements of each sub list that creates a problem for me. My sample code follows:


problems = {{1, 2}, {1, 3}, {2, 2}};
list1 = {{1, 2, 12}, {1, 3, 13}, {1, 2, 14}, {4, 5, 11}};
list2 = {{1, 2, 22}, {1, 3, 23}, {2, 2, 26}, {4, 5, 11}, {1, 3, 13}};

want = {{1, 2, {12, 14}, {22}}, {1, 3, {13}, {13, 23}}, {2, 2, {}, {26}}};


list1a = Flatten[(Cases[list1, {#[[1]], #[[2]], __}] & /@ problems) /. {} -> {{}}, 1]
list1b = GatherBy[list1a, If[# == {}, True, {#[[1]], #[[2]]}] &]

The list labelled "want" is what I'd like to get at the end of this. Actually, I just want to have something that will contain those 1st two elements, and then show the comparison of the 3rd elements. The GatherBy seems to be getting me closer to what I want, but I can't figure out how to correctly group it so that it looks like "want". I'm hoping that someone can suggest a better way to approach this.



Answer



Function[{x, y}, {x, y, Sequence @@ (Last /@ Cases[#, {x, y, __}] & /@ {list1, list2})}] @@@ problems
(*
{{1, 2, {12, 14}, {22}}, {1, 3, {13}, {23, 13}}, {2, 2, {}, {26}}}
*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...