Skip to main content

plotting - How to draw grid lines on top of a plot?


I want to use ArrayPlot instead of a DensityPlot because it seems to be faster (more here) I still want axes ticks to have real values and not array index.


I came up with following code which basically centers and scales ArrayPlot according to PlotRange given to Graphics:


arrayPlot[data_, opts___] := 
Module[{dim = Dimensions[data] // N, rls, range, imgSz, aRatio,
cf},

rls = {opts}~
Join~{PlotRange -> Transpose@{{1, 1}, dim},
ImageSize -> {500, 300}, ColorFunction -> "Rainbow"};
{range, cf} = {PlotRange, ColorFunction} /. rls;
aRatio = 1/Divide @@ (ImageSize /. rls);
Graphics[{Scale[#, (range.{-1, 1})*dim^-1] &@
Translate[#, (range.{1, 1} - dim)*0.5] &@
First@ArrayPlot[data, ColorFunction -> cf,
DataReversed -> True]}, Frame -> True,
AspectRatio -> aRatio, #] & @@ rls

];

It works OK and with:


dataP[m_, n_] := Table[i*Boole[j < i], {i, 1, m}, {j, 1, n}];
arrayPlot[dataP[100, 100], ImageSize -> {500, 500},
ColorFunction -> "Rainbow", PlotRange -> {{-21, 23}, {-1, 1}}]

I get


image


If I modify a arrayPlot with GridLines -> Automatic , GridLinesStyle -> Directive[Orange, Thickness[0.05]] added to Graphics, I get gridlines behind the plot. enter image description here



How can I make the grid lines appear in front of the plot? It is possible to add Mesh to ArrayPlot, but I want to avoid it since it will require synchronization of mesh with axes ticks.



Considering answer by 'rm -rf' the updated function is:


arrayPlot[data_, opts___] := 
Module[{dim = Dimensions[data] // N, rls, range, imgSz, aRatio,
cf},
rls = {opts}~
Join~{PlotRange -> Transpose@{{1, 1}, dim},
ImageSize -> {500, 300}, ColorFunction -> "Rainbow",
Method -> {"GridLinesInFront" -> True}};

{range, cf} = {PlotRange, ColorFunction} /. rls;
aRatio = 1/Divide @@ (ImageSize /. rls);
rls = Select[rls,
MatchQ[#, Alternatives @@ (#[[1]] & /@ Options[Graphics]) -> _] &];
Graphics[{Scale[#, (range.{-1, 1})*dim^-1] &@
Translate[#, (range.{1, 1} - dim)*0.5] &@
First@ArrayPlot[data, ColorFunction -> cf,
DataReversed -> True]}, Frame -> True,
AspectRatio -> aRatio, ##] & @@ rls
];


arrayPlot[dataP[100, 100], GridLines -> Automatic ,
ColorFunction -> "BlueGreenYellow",
GridLinesStyle -> Directive[Orange, Thickness[0.01]],
ImageSize -> {500, 500}, PlotRange -> {{-28, 23}, {-1, 1}}]

Answer



Edit:


As of V11 "GridLinesInFront" was documented together with "AxesInFront", "FrameInFront" and "TransparentPolygonMesh"




You need to use the undocumented option



Method -> {"GridLinesInFront" -> True}

to make the grid lines appear on top of your plot. This should give you:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...