Skip to main content

physics - Solving coupled Differential equations with matching condition


I am somewhat new to using Mathematica and was wondering if it can solve the following: $(a \rightarrow h)$ are constants


$a w^4[x] =-b + c(d-w[x]-e x),\hspace{2em} x_1 \leq x \leq x_g \\ a w^4[x] =-b + f(d-w[x]),\hspace{2em} x_g < x \leq x_2 $


With the boundary conditions:


$ w[x_1]=d - g + e x_1\\ w'[x_1]=e \\ [w]=[w']=[w'']=[w''']=0, \; x=x_g \; \textrm{ (jump conditions)} \\ w[x_g]=d+e x_g \\ w''[x_2]=w'''[x_2]=0 $


There is also a constraint: $\int_{x1}^{x2} \sqrt{1+w'^2} dx=h$



I believe this model is analogous to solving beam equations with matched conditions except it is nonlinear: basically a cantilevered beam partially resting on a foundation with a pinning point at the end of the foundation that is allowed to move.


I tried searching the site for using jump conditions, but I didn't have much luck with the answers from the top hits. I was thinking that I could decouple the equations at $x_g$ and include matching conditions based on 2 differential equations: $w_1[x], w_2[x]$. However, the length constraint doesn't appear to be applicable.


So, I tried the following:


a = 8.06*10^16;
b = 8.99*10^6;
c = 8.99*10^11;
d = 500.;
e = -.268;
f = 10074.4;
g = 10.^(-5);

x1 = 0.;
x2 = 10000.;

NDSolve[{
a*w''''[x] == -b + c (d - w[x] + e x),
a*w2''''[x] == -b + f (d - w2[x]),
w[x1] == d - g + e x1,
w'[x1] == e,
w[xg] == w2[xg],
w'[xg] == w2'[xg],

w''[xg] == w2''[xg],
w'''[xg] == w2'''[xg],
w2[xg] == d + e xg,
w2''[x2] == 0,
w2'''[x2] == 0
},
{w, w2, xg}, {x, x1, x2}
]

I get the error:



NDSolve::ndsv: Cannot find starting value for the variable w''

I think this error is pointing to a missing boundary condition. If I specify xg, I get another error, which I'm not sure how to interpret. I would greatly appreciate any comments on solving these equations. Thanks!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...