Skip to main content

symbolic - About Symbolize and Variables


I do believe this sort of similar questions had been asked many times, so I have read a LOT. For example this and this as well as many other related posts.


But a glance at what my main question is this:



Needs["Notation`"]

Symbolize[ParsedBoxWrapper[SubscriptBox["x", "_"]]]
Symbolize[ParsedBoxWrapper[SubscriptBox["y", "_"]]]
var1 = Table[ToExpression["Subscript[x, " <> ToString[i] <> "]"], {i, 10}]
var2 = Table[ToExpression["Subscript[y, " <> ToString[i] <> "]"], {i, 10}]

1/(1 + Exp[var1 + var2])
(* Does not work *)
Variables[%]


1/(1 + Exp[var1 + var2])
(* Does work *)
Variables[Level[%,4]]

Now the real challenge is: I need expression for TWO sets of variables (symbols) $p_{jc}$ and $\phi_{jc}$, like this $$ p_{jc} = \frac{1}{1+\exp{(-\mu_p-\tau_{pj}-\eta_{pc}})} $$ and $$ \phi_{jc} = \frac{1}{1+\exp{(-\mu_\phi-\tau_{\phi j}-\eta_{\phi c}})} $$ for different $j$s and $c$s.


Ideally, I want to define variables like $\mu_{\phi},\mu_p,\tau_{pj}$, ect. They need to be treated like a variable by the function Variables, not when I Level out the expression.


I coded the whole thing in Maple with out any problem, but in Mathematica, this seen to be very difficult to do so. The similar command for Variables in Maple is indets.


I now wonder:


1 - Is that possible to define things like $\mu_{\phi},\tau_{\phi j},\eta_{\phi c}$. How?



2 - When I use these symbols, are they going to be recognized without any problem by Variables?


This is particularly important because I write functions that take $j$ and $c$ to create the variables above, then a complicated expression, involving exponential. I want to determine the "number of parameters".


3 - A bit vague, but more to do. I will use these symbols to create function, and do optimizations, and replace /. using rules. Would that have difficulties? See the PDF . Page 1, sskappa(ss,kappa); transforms expression (1) to expression (4) using rules (3).


4 - Just as a note to the Symbolize command, why does Variables do not treat the Symbolized variables as variables? (get me {} as shown above in the code)


Here is a PDF file, produced by Maple, on briefly what I am trying to get in Mathematica. Don't worry to much about the expression "kappa", but what I can do with "kappa", for example, using Maple command indets.


Any advise on how to approach this would be appreciated!



Answer



For the moment leaving aside the wisdom of using Subscripts as Symbols in Mathematica it would appear that your immediate problem has nothing to do with Subscript at all but rather the behavior of Variables.


Recall its definition:




Variables[poly] gives a list of all independent variables in a polynomial.



And observe that even when using true Symbols you do not get the result you desire:


var1 = Table[Symbol["x" <> ToString[i]], {i, 10}];
var2 = Table[Symbol["y" <> ToString[i]], {i, 10}];

expr = 1/(1 + Exp[var1 + var2]);

Variables[expr]



{}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...