Skip to main content

expression manipulation - Select certain term containing some patterns and confusing pattern Alternatives in FreeQ



I am considering a function termsContain[func_,list_] which select in an expression func the terms containing the ones in the list. The func in general is a sum of some terms and could also be only one term, for example,


in[1]:= termsContain[a + b + c + a x +b y, {x,y}]
out[1]= a x+b y

in[2]:= termsContain[a + b + c + f[a x +c]+b y, {a x}]
out[2]=f[c + a x]

in[3]:= termsContain[a x , {a x}]
out[3]= a x


in[4]:= termsContain[a + b + c + a x[i] y[j] +b x[l] y[m] , {x[_]y[_]}]
out[4]= a x[i] y[j]+b x[l] y[m]

I came up with this :


termsContain[func_, list_] :=  func /. (Longest[u___?(Not[FreeQ[#, Alternatives @@ list]] &)] + v___) :> (Plus[u]);

This works fine for the first three examples, but not for the last one. For the last one, this gives only zero


out[4]=0

Try another example which is also not as expected:



in[5]:=termsContain[a + b + c + a x[i] y[j] +b x[l] y[m] +c f[x[l] y[m]], {x[_]y[_]}]
out[5]= c f[x[l] y[m]]

I thought it should give a x[i] y[j] +b x[l] y[m] +c f[x[l] y[m]]. How to understand these results? I did some experiments, the problem seems to be the FreeQ combined with Alternatives. The Alternatives seems not to take one argument, that is, Alternatives[x[_] y[_]] does not match x[_] y[_] as I thought. See these examples,


in[6]:=FreeQ[a x[i] y[j] +b x[l] y[m], x[_] y[_]]
out[6]= False
in[7]:=FreeQ[a x[i] y[j] +b x[l] y[m], Alternatives[x[_] y[_]]]
out[7]= True

But the out[2] and the out[3] seem to give the correct answer. Why? I am really confused. And how to modify the code to give the expected answer? Thanks!



Appendix: We can test this, for a special case without using Alternatives


   in[8]:= c a[i] x[j] + d f[a[l] x[m]] + f + l +   d a[l] x[n] /. (Longest[u___?(Not[FreeQ[#, a[i_] x[j_]]] &)] + v___) :> (Plus[u])
out[8]= d f[a[l] x[m]] + c a[i] x[j] + d a[l] x[n]

It works here. So the problem really is in Alternatives. FreeQ combined with Alternatives is really confusing, look at these


in[9]:= FreeQ[a x y, a x ]
out[9]= False
in[10]:= FreeQ[a x y, a x | y ]
out[10]= False
in[11]:= FreeQ[a x y, a x | a y ]

out[11]= True

Modify the in[2] a little


in[12]:= termsContain[a + b + c + f[a x y + c] + b x y, { x }]
out[12]= b x y + f[c + a x y]
in[13]:= termsContain[a + b + c + f[a x y + c] + b x y, { a x }]
out[13]=0
in[14]:= termsContain[a + b + c + f[a x y + c] + b x y, { b y }]
out[14]=0


Edit:


At last, I come to this realization,


termsContain[func_, list_] := func /. (Longest[
u___?(Not[And @@ (Through[(FreeQ[#] & /@ list)[#]])] &)] +
v___) :> (Plus[u]);

which is what I want. But I still would like to know how to understand the Alternatives in FreeQ.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...