Skip to main content

Solving a system of non-linear equations and obtaining a phase portrait



Still a newbie in Mathematica, I used streamplot function to generate a bunch of streamlines for the non-linear system below. How do I solve this system of equations numerically and generate the appropriate solution curves?


y'[t]=m[x,y,c,k]  

x'[t]=n[x,y,c]

Where


m[x_, y_, c_, k_] := (((y - 1)^2 - x^2)/((y - 1)^2 + x^2)*((
1 - Exp[-(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/c)])/(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/
c))) - (ExpIntegralE[1, ((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/c]) + k
n[x_, y_, c_] := -((2 (x - 1) (y - 1))/((y - 1)^2 + x^2))*((1 - Exp[-(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/c)])/(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/c)).

c ranges from 0.01 to 100, and k ranges from 0 to 1.


Thank you in advance!




Answer



eq1 = x'[t] == -((2 (x[t] - 1) (y[t] - 1))/((y[t] - 1)^2 + x[t]^2))*((1 - 
Exp[-(((y[t] - 1)^2 + x[t]^2)/c)])/(((y[t] - 1)^2 + x[t]^2)/c));
eq2 = y'[t] == (((y[t] - 1)^2 - x[t]^2)/((y[t] - 1)^2 + x[t]^2)*((1 -
Exp[-(((y[t] - 1)^2 + x[t]^2)/c)])/(((y[t] - 1)^2 + x[t]^2)/
c))) - (ExpIntegralE[1, ((y[t] - 1)^2 + x[t]^2)/c]) + k;

c = 3; k = 0.5;

sol[x0_?NumericQ] := First@NDSolve[{eq1, eq2, x[0] == x0, y[0] == x0}, {x, y}, {t, 0, 200}]


pp = ParametricPlot[Evaluate[{x[t], y[t]} /. sol[#] & /@ Range[0.3, 1, 0.2]], {t, 0,200}];

sp = StreamPlot[{-((2 (x - 1) (y - 1))/((y - 1)^2 + x^2))*((1 -
Exp[-(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/c)])/(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/
c)), (((y - 1)^2 - x^2)/((y - 1)^2 +
x^2)*((1 - Exp[-(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/c)])/(((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/
c))) - (ExpIntegralE[1, ((y - 1)^2 + x^2)/c]) + k}, {x, -5, 1}, {y, 0, 2}];

Show[pp, sp]


enter image description here


sol1 = ParametricNDSolveValue[{eq1, eq2, x[0] == x0, y[0] == y0}, {x, y}, {t, -100, 100}, 
{x0, y0}];

points = Join[Table[{-2, y}, {y, -5, 5, 0.1}], Table[{2, y}, {y, -5, 5, 0.1}]];

ParametricPlot[sol1 @@@ points//Evaluate, {t, -100, 100}, PlotRange -> {{-5, 5}, {-5, 5}}]

enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...