Skip to main content

parallelization - Passing Package Dependencies to Subkernels


Say I have a function f[x_,...]:=... in a *.wl-Package form that depends on a bunch of Packages (some other *.wl files), and say I want to call this function f several times in parallel. I am currently using a set-up of the following form


LaunchKernels[2];
ParallelNeeds["Privatef`",".../f_file.wl"];


ParallelTable[
output[i]=f[i];
,{i,1,10}];

where i is just supposed to represent a set of parameters. The function f itself is of the form


BeginPackage["Privatef`"]

f

Begin["fenv`"]

Needs["other Packages"]

some code

End[]

EndPackage[]

Now, my problem is that the function f is distributed into the different subkernels I generated, though, the other Packages don't seem to load in each subkernel. I have tried to also use ParallelNeeds on these additional Packages, but without success. So how do I get Mathematica to load each additional Package that f requires in each subkernel that was launched?



Answer




Are the packages you need in the $Path?


If not, the following may be the simplest solution:




  • Create a package file (.m or .wl) which simply modifies the $Path.


    BeginPackage["PathLoader`"]
    $Path = Join[$Path, {"/path/one", "/path/two"}];
    EndPackage[]

    The only purpose of the BeginPackage/EndPackage here is to ensure that (Parallel)Needs won't complain about "context not created".





  • Put this in a standard location, e.g. $UserBaseDirectory/Applications/PathLoader.m.




  • Start your session with


    Needs["PathLoader`"]
    ParallelNeeds["PathLoader`"]



Now $Path will contain all your directories both on the main kernel and on the subkernels.


I use similar (but more complicated) workarounds for Kernel/init.m not being loaded on any subkernels.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...