Skip to main content

list manipulation - Is there a faster way to create a matrix of indices from ragged data?


I have data that is given as a list of ordered pairs mixed with scalars. The pairs can contain infinite bounds. My goal is to convert the data into an index used in future computations.


data = {{1, ∞}, {-∞, 2}, 3, {2, 2}, {2, 3}};

This gives me all of the unique values present in data.


udata = Sort[DeleteDuplicates[Flatten@data], Less]

==> {-∞, 1, 2, 3, ∞}

Now I use Dispatch to create replacement rules based on the unique values.



dsptch = Dispatch[Thread[udata -> Range[Length[udata]]]];

Finally I replace the values with their indices and expand scalars a such that they are also pairs {a,a}. This results in a matrix of indices which is what I'm after.


Replace[data /. dsptch, a_Integer :> {a, a}, 1]

==> {{2, 5}, {1, 3}, {4, 4}, {3, 3}, {3, 4}}

NOTES:





  1. The number of unique values is generally small compared to the length of data but this doesn't have to be the case.




  2. Any real numbers are possible. The data I've shown simply gives a sense of the structural possibilities.




Question: Is there a way to create the final matrix of indices that is much faster than what I'm doing here?


Edit: To test the how potential solutions scale I recommend using the following data. It is fairly representative of a true-to-life case.


inf = {#, ∞} & /@ RandomChoice[Range[1000], 3*10^5];
neginf = {-∞, #} & /@ RandomChoice[Range[1000], 10^5];

int = Sort /@ RandomChoice[Range[1000], {10^5, 2}];
num = RandomChoice[Range[1000], 5*10^5];

testData = RandomSample[Join[inf, neginf, int, num]];

Answer



A modest improvement when you replace Replace[...] with Transpose@Thread:


 (udata = Sort[DeleteDuplicates[Flatten@testData], Less]; 
dsptch = Dispatch[Thread[udata -> Range[Length[udata]]]];
out1 = Replace[testData /. dsptch, a_Integer :> {a, a}, 1];) // AbsoluteTiming
(* {2.1282128, Null} *)


(udata = Sort[DeleteDuplicates[Flatten@testData], Less];
dsptch = Dispatch[Thread[udata -> Range[Length[udata]]]];
out2 = Transpose@Thread[testData /. dsptch];) // AbsoluteTiming
(* {1.9421942, Null} *)
out1==out2
(* True *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...