Skip to main content

Using graphics primitives to draw a cross as inset in graphics


I would like to draw a cross as an inset in a Graphics environment. I tried the following:


Graphics[{Inset[Style["\[Cross]", 100], {0, 0},{Center,Center}], Circle[]}, 
Frame -> True]

Inset of cross in circle


Unfortunately, the {Center,Center} command for specifying the exact point of the cross that is drawn at the {0,0} position does not use the intercept of the two parts of the cross. Is there an easy way to produce a cross using graphics primitives rather than special characters? I have not done much with graphics yet and would really appreciate your help.




Answer



Nice & easy:-


a = 0.2; t = 6;
Graphics[{Circle[],
Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],
Line[{{-a, -a}, {a, a}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a],
Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],
Line[{{-a, a}, {a, -a}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a]},
Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 250]


enter image description here


Using Inset ensures the resulting X stays within the 2 a bounds specified. The simpler red X shown, spills over slightly due to the thickness. The cross is also shown in green.


a = 0.2; t = 6;
Show[Graphics[{Circle[],
AbsoluteThickness[t], Red,
Line[{{-a, -a}, {a, a}}],
Line[{{-a, a}, {a, -a}}]},
Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 350],

Graphics[{Circle[],

Line[{{0, -1}, {0, 1}}],
Line[{{-1, 0}, {1, 0}}],
Line[{{a, -1}, {a, 1}}],
Line[{{-1, a}, {1, a}}],
Line[{{-a, -1}, {-a, 1}}],
Line[{{-1, -a}, {1, -a}}],
Inset[Style["\[Cross]", 100, Green], {0, 0}, {Center, Center}],
Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],
Line[{{-a, -a}, {a, a}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a],
Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],

Line[{{-a, a}, {a, -a}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a]},
Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 350]]

enter image description here


Addendum


Inset X's can be made to scale. But first, using non-inset lines scales straight away:


a = 0.2; t = 6;
Graphics[{Circle[], AbsoluteThickness[t], Red,
Line[{{-a, -a}, {a, a}}], Line[{{-a, a}, {a, -a}}]},
Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 250, AspectRatio -> 0.4]


enter image description here


Inset lines' sizes are not affected by the enclosing graphic's AspectRatio:


a = 0.2; t = 6; r = 0.4;
Graphics[{Circle[], Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],
Line[{{-a, -a}, {a, a}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a],
Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],
Line[{{-a, a}, {a, -a}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a]},
Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 250, AspectRatio -> r]


enter image description here


Adding a factor to the insets can apply scaling:


a = 0.2; t = 6; r = 0.4;
Graphics[{Circle[], Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],
Line[{{-a, -a r}, {a, a r}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a],
Inset[Graphics[{AbsoluteThickness[t],
Line[{{-a, a r}, {a, -a r}}]}], {0, 0}, Center, 2 a]},
Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 250, AspectRatio -> r]

enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...