Skip to main content

Using function with multiple definitions in Manipulate


I'm trying to use Manipulate to visually try out different values of lambda in a Box-Cox transformation. I've created a boxcox function with two definitions to deal with both the normal case and the case when lambda is 0:


boxcox[data_, 0] := Log[data]
boxcox[data_, l_] := (data^l - 1)/l

Then I use this function inside Manipulate but I keep getting tons of errors. It looks like Manipulate is only using the general definition and starts complaining about dividing by zero.


Manipulate[
pdata = Partition[boxcox[data, u], 12];
ranges = Max[#] - Min[#] & /@ pdata;

means = Mean[#] & /@ pdata;
mrdata = Transpose[{means, ranges}];
mrlm = LinearModelFit[mrdata, x, x];
Show[
ListPlot[mrdata, Axes -> False, Frame -> True,
AxesOrigin -> {Automatic, 0}],
Plot[mrlm[x], {x, Min[means], Max[means]}]
],
{u, 0.00, 1.00}
]


Here is the data I'm using in case it matters:


data = {154., 96., 73., 49., 36., 59., 95., 169., 210., 278., 298., 245., \
200., 118., 90., 79., 78., 91., 167., 169., 289., 347., 375., 203., \
223., 104., 107., 85., 75., 99., 135., 211., 335., 460., 488., 326., \
346., 261., 224., 141., 148., 145., 223., 272., 445., 560., 612., \
467., 518., 404., 300., 210., 196., 186., 247., 343., 464., 680., \
711., 610., 613., 392., 273., 322., 189., 257., 324., 404., 677., \
858., 895., 664., 628., 308., 324., 248., 272.}

Answer




As already explained: MatchQ[0, 0.] is False.


Generally, I suggest using:


boxcox[data_, x_ /; x == 0] := Log[data]

This works even for expression that are not expressly 0 or 0., e.g.:


MatchQ[E^(I Pi/4) - (-1)^(1/4), x_ /; x == 0]


True


It also works in cases like this:


MatchQ[0.0000000000000000000, x_ /; x == 0]


True

Compare:


MatchQ[0.0000000000000000000, 0 | 0.]



False

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...