Skip to main content

plotting - Combine Plots into a single non-rasterized Graphic with no spacing



Suppose that I have two plots, pl1 and pl2:


pl1 = Plot[x, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 350]
pl2 = Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 1}, Frame -> True, ImageSize -> 350]

pl1


pl2


I would like to (1) combine these plots side-by-side in a (2) non-rasterized graphic with (3) no spacing.


I get pretty close to my desired result by using Grid with Spacings -> 0:



Grid[{{pl1, pl2}}, Spacings -> 0]

grid


The above satisfies my requirements (2) and (3): the result is non-rasterized, and there is no spacing between the plots. However, the above doesn't satisfy my requirement (1), that the plots be combined into a single Graphic object. That is, if I click on either of the plots, I see that they are separate Graphic objects:


gridA


gridB


So the above approach doesn't satisfy all of my requirements. (Why do I need the plots to be combined in a single Graphic? The reason is that I want to be able to place other Graphic objects -- e.g., text, arrows, shapes, etc. -- that span the two plots.)


Another possibility is to use ImageAssemble, but unfortunately this leads to a rasterized image:


ImageAssemble[{{pl1, pl2}}]


imageassemble


A third possibility is to use GraphicsGrid with Spacings -> 0:


GraphicsGrid[{{pl1, pl2}}, Spacings -> 0]

graphicsgrid


It seems that this produces a single Graphic object ((1)) that is not rasterized ((2)), but, unfortunately, there is spacing between the plots.


Do you have any suggestions? Is there any way to remove the spacing/padding in GraphicsGrid?



Answer



You could do something like the following:


pl1=Plot[x,{x,0,1},Frame->True,ImageSize->350, 

ImagePadding->{{Scaled[0.05],None},{Automatic,Automatic}}];
pl2=Plot[x^2,{x,0,1},Frame->True,ImageSize->350,
ImagePadding-> {{None,Scaled[0.05]},{Automatic,Automatic}}];

GraphicsGrid[{{pl1,pl2}},Spacings->{Scaled[-0.07],0}]

enter image description here


This removes the padding from the graphics themselves with the option ImagePadding, and a magic number of -0.07...There is likely a better way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...