Skip to main content

differential equations - WhenEvent in NDSolve


How come this doesn't work as I intended?


s[{x0_, y0_}, a_, v_] := NDSolveValue[{

x'[t] == vx[t], WhenEvent[x[t] > 0, vx[t] -> -vx[t]],
y'[t] == vy[t] - t, WhenEvent[y[t] < 0, vy[t] -> -vy[t]],
x[0] == x0, vx[0] == v Cos@a,
y[0] == y0, vy[0] == v Sin@a},
{x[t], y[t]}, {t, 0, 10},
DiscreteVariables -> {vx, vy}]

Simulating falling and bouncing of a 2D mass point.


With[{r0 = {-5, 7}},
ParametricPlot[Evaluate@s[r0, -.9, 2],

{t, 0, 10},
PlotRange -> {{-10, 10}, {-10, 10}},
Epilog -> {Point@r0}]]

Fall


I can't understand why it doesn't bounce on the x-axis first, and what does happen there anyway? Event x[t]>0 works fine.




bouncing ball


Following help I started with lowering the order of equations (and so doubling the number of variables). Here I wrote the equations in a more familiar 2nd order; everything works as expected. I put the function below in a tiny loop which bisected the right initial velocity v0 that returns the ball in its starting position.


Could this be done within NDSolve? I looked Wolfram tutorial for Boundary Value Problems but haven't been able to figure it out.



sstop[{x0_, y0_}, a_, v0_] := NDSolveValue[{
x''[t] == 0, WhenEvent[x[t] > 0, x'[t] -> -x'[t]],
y''[t] == -1, WhenEvent[y[t] < 0, y'[t] -> -y'[t]],
WhenEvent[x[t] < x0, Sow[{t, y[t]}]; "StopIntegration"],
x[0] == x0, x'[0] == v0 Cos[a],
y[0] == y0, y'[0] == v0 Sin[a]},
{x[t], y[t]}, {t, 0, 20}] // Reap

Answer



Here you have a bouncing ball simulation using WithEvents[]:


s[{x0_, y0_}, a_, v_] := NDSolveValue[

{
y''[t] == -1,
x'[t] == vx[t],
y[0] == y0,
x[0] == x0,
y'[0] == v Sin@a,
vx[0] == v Cos@a,
vy[0] == v Sin@a,
WhenEvent[y[t] < 0, y'[t] -> - y'[t]],
WhenEvent[x[t] > 0, vx[t] -> -vx[t]]},

{x, y}, {t, 0, 8},
DiscreteVariables -> {vx, vy}] ;

With[{r0 = {-1, 1}},
ParametricPlot[Through[s[r0, 1, 1][u]], {u, 0, 5}, PlotRange -> All,
Epilog -> {Point@r0}]]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...