Skip to main content

random - Simulating discrete time stochastic dynamic systems


What is the canonical way of simulating discrete time stochastic dynamical systems in Mathematica using the new functionality of Random processes?


To take a concrete example, lets consider the optimal gambling problem. A gambler comes to a casino with an initial fortune $x_1$ and let $X_n$ denote his fortune at time $n$. At each time he bets a fraction $\alpha x_n$. At each time he wins with probability $p$ and loses with probability $(1-p)$. Thus, the dynamics of the system can be written as:


$$ X_{n+1} = \begin{cases} (1+\alpha) X_n, & \text{with probability } p \\ (1-\alpha) X_n, & \text{with probability } 1-p \\ \end{cases} $$


I want to simulate this system for 20 time steps with $x_1 = 12$, $p=0.8$, and then plot 50 sample paths and the mean value of $X_{20}$.



Answer



I would proceed like the following. It will be natural to propose that the win-event occurs following BinomialDistribution with probability $p=0.8$ so that we can use the built-in BinomialProcess to simulate the win and losses in $20$ time steps for $50$ sample paths.


timstep = 20;
win = BinomialProcess[.8];

samplepaths=50;
process = RandomFunction[Evaluate[win], {0, timstep - 1}, samplepaths];
ListLinePlot[process, InterpolationOrder -> 0, Frame -> True,
PlotStyle -> {{Dashed, Opacity[.9]}}]

enter image description here


Then just use FoldList on the TemporalData to get your result simulation of $50$ sample paths and the mean in a simple functional style!


x1 = 12;
alpha = .15; (* assume some value for alpha *)
WinEvents = process["States"];

ST[WinEvents_?ListQ, x1_, alpha_, SimTime_] := Module[{},
FoldList[Max[If[#2 == 1, (1 + alpha) #1, (1 - alpha) #1], 0.] &,
x1,
Prepend[Differences@WinEvents, First@WinEvents]]
];
simdat = ST[#, x1, alpha, timstep] & /@ WinEvents;

For visualization


Show[ListLinePlot[Legended[Mean[simdat], "Mean"], PlotRange -> All, 
PlotStyle -> {{AbsoluteThickness[3.5], Opacity[.9], Red}}],

ListLinePlot[simdat, PlotRange -> All,
PlotStyle -> {{Dashed, Opacity[.7]}}],
ListPlot[simdat, PlotRange -> All], Frame -> True]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...