Skip to main content

plotting - How to avoid axis inversion by DataRange when used in Arrayplot?


Working on Mathematica 11.3, I find that the vertical axis (more precisely its ticks) is reversed by DataRange which should not happen, e.g.


nmax = 100;
ArrayPlot[Table[x + y, {x, 0, nmax}, {y, 0, nmax}], PlotLegends -> True, FrameTicks -> Automatic]

ArrayPlot[Table[x + y, {x, 0, nmax}, {y, 0, nmax}], PlotLegends -> True, FrameTicks -> Automatic, DataRange -> {{0, nmax}, {0, nmax}}]

Resulting in


ArrayPlot w/o manual DataRange


ArrayPlot w/ manual DataRange


I want a plot like in the first picture but with arbitrarily chosen DataRange and do not want to have the data reversed along the vertical direction (as in ListDensityPlot). Both axes should start at the top left corner. I found a workaround using manual setting of frame ticks but that is not nice. Is their a simple solution?



Answer



This is a non-intuitive, but expected behavior. It just comes down to how do you interpret DataRange. See the additional option DataReversed


ArrayPlot[Table[x + y, {x, 0, nmax}, {y, 0, nmax}], 
PlotLegends -> True, FrameTicks -> Automatic,

DataRange -> {{0, nmax}, {0, nmax}}, DataReversed -> True]
ArrayPlot[Reverse@Table[x + y, {x, 0, nmax}, {y, 0, nmax}],
PlotLegends -> True, FrameTicks -> Automatic,
DataRange -> {{0, nmax}, {0, nmax}}, DataReversed -> True]

enter image description here enter image description here


The underling reason is, that usually matrix indexes start from top left, while plot coordinates from left bottom. The function named ArrayPlot has to bring these two worlds together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...