Skip to main content

plotting - How to scale values for ColorFunction in SliceContourPlot3D?


Trying to help out in the question, Finite Elements 3D, I came across this behavior of SliceContourPlot3D:


op = -Laplacian[u[x, y, z], {x, y, z}] - 2;
uif = NDSolveValue[{op == 0, DirichletCondition[u[x, y, z] == 0, True},
u, {x, y, z} ∈ Ball[{0, 0, 0}]];

SliceContourPlot3D[
uif[x, y, z], "CenterPlanes", {x, y, z} ∈ MeshRegion@uif["ElementMesh"],
ColorFunction -> "Rainbow"]


Mathematica graphics


The range of colors does not go all the way down to violet/indigo. I expected the range of colors to be something like this:


With[{sel = Positive[uif["Grid"].{0.3, -0.4, -1}]},
With[{pts = Pick[uif["Grid"], sel]},
Graphics3D[
GraphicsComplex[
pts,
{Point[Range@Length@pts,
VertexColors -> (ColorData["Rainbow"] /@ Rescale[Pick[uif["ValuesOnGrid"], sel]])

]}
]]
]]

Mathematica graphics


Is this a bug in SliceContourPlot3D? (Perhaps it's due to extrapolation from sampling outside the domain?) Is there a way to get it to rescale the colors the way I expected?


I'm using V10.3.0, Mac OSX.



Answer



It seems SliceContourPlot3D makes an initial sample, that is not quite right - i.e. outside of the region. Using


op = -Laplacian[u[x, y, z], {x, y, z}] - 2;

uif = NDSolveValue[{op == 0,
DirichletCondition[u[x, y, z] == 0, True]},
u, {x, y, z} \[Element] Ball[{0, 0, 0}],
"ExtrapolationHandler" -> {(Indeterminate &),
"WarningMessage" -> False}];

SliceContourPlot3D[
uif[x, y, z], "CenterPlanes", {x, y, z} \[Element]
MeshRegion@uif["ElementMesh"], ColorFunction -> "Rainbow"]


enter image description here


On a related note, I am wondering if for FEM this ExtrapolationHandler should be the default - what do you think?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?