Skip to main content

web access - How can I use multiple overlaid map layers (e.g. basemap, labels) in GeoGraphics?


We can use GeoServer to use map tiles from an external service. There are many compatible services:



These services often provide unlabelled background maps, as well as various layers to superimpose on a base map (e.g. labels only, borders only, etc.).


How can we use multiple layers, possibly loaded from multiple different servers, in a way that integrates well with the GeoGraphics functionality and also work with DynamicGeoGraphics?




For example, using the definitions from the above linked answer,



base = GeoGraphics[{Entity["Country", "Hungary"]}, 
GeoServer -> stamen["watercolor"]]

Mathematica graphics


labels = GeoGraphics[{Entity["Country", "Hungary"]}, 
GeoServer -> carto["light_only_labels"]]

Mathematica graphics


We could layer these together manually using one of multiple possible ways, e.g.


Overlay[{base, labels}]


Mathematica graphics


But this is not a good solution because it requires multiple GeoGraphics calls that are independent, and does not work with functions like DynamicGeoGraphics.



Answer



It's possible to superimpose multiple layers within the same GeoGraphics if the layers are "geoprimitives" for which you can define different geostyles (including opacity and the choice of geoserver). Here is a simple example:


GeoGraphics[{{GeoStyling["StreetMap", Opacity[1], 
GeoServer -> "http://tile.stamen.com/toner/`1`/`2`/`3`.png"],
Polygon[Entity["Country", "Hungary"]]}, {GeoStyling["StreetMap",
Opacity[0.2],
GeoServer -> "http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/`1`/`2`/`3`.png"

], Polygon[Entity["Country", "Hungary"]]}},
GeoBackground -> GeoStyling[Opacity[0.]], ImageSize -> 500]


Blockquote



(Instead of Polygon you can use other geographic primitives like in this post.)


The difficulty of course is to set the right opacities for the layers (when you have to deal with just more than labels like in your trivial example).


You can try the previous example with DynamicGeoGraphics, it does not seem to work, zooming is not possible, the layers are not dynamically updated. And you'll notice that you cannot get rid of the GeoBackground anymore which actually is the only one to update ! Clearly, DynamicGeoGraphics need some more dev ...


enter image description here





Here's a sample application to show MODIS snow cover data in China:


GeoGraphics[{
EdgeForm[Black],
GeoStyling["StreetMap",
GeoServer -> {"https://map1.vis.earthdata.nasa.gov/wmts-webmerc/MODIS_Terra_Snow_Cover/default//GoogleMapsCompatible_Level8/`1`/`3`/`2`.png",
"TileDataType" -> "PNG", "ZoomRange" -> {1, 8}}
],
Polygon[Entity["Country", "China"]]
},

GeoBackground -> GeoStyling["ReliefMap"], ImageSize -> Large
]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...