Skip to main content

web access - Using URLExecute to login to website



One of my students is doing summer research for a local company to help analyze some of their data. Trouble is, the web interface they provide for downloading the data only allows one to download one customer's info at a time; there are over 3000 customers to analyze.


I'd like to use Mathematica (MMA) to automate this process. Step 1: use MMA to log in to their website. I've looked at many similar posts and still struggle to understand how to use Import or URLFetch or URLExecute to accomplish this.


I can't share the company's URL, though from the page source this seems to be the relevant code:






I tried using


URLExecute["https://THEIR_WEB_ADDRESS.com/src/index.php?page=admin", {"username" -> "fooUser", "password" -> "fooPassword"}]


but the response seems to indicate the website doesn't understand the requested page. I also tried variations of "Username" vs "username", etc., to no avail.


Can someone point me in the right direction based on the page source? I know you won't be able to test your own answer as the actual URL is not given.



Answer



This is getting a bit too long for a comment. What you want to do is possible, in principle, but web servers can be picky about how the request should look. What we can do is to try to provide as much information as possible to help Mathematica make an acceptable request. I would start with this:


req = HTTPRequest[

"https://THEIR_WEB_ADDRESS.com/src/index.php", <|
Method -> "POST",
"Query" -> {"page" -> "login"},
"Body" -> {
"username" -> "fooUser",
"password" -> "fooPassword",
"action" -> "login"
},
"ContentType" -> "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
|>];


resp = URLRead[req]

The action parameter comes from the HTML for the form.


It would be interesting to know what resp["StatusCode"] returns. If it returns OK, it would also be good to check resp["Cookies"] to see if it returned a cookie. And, of course, you can also check resp["Body"] to see what they sent back.


Please let me know how it goes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...