Skip to main content

equation solving - Find the domain in which a sequence converges


I seem to have a lot of problems in the format of:



Given the sequence $a_n=\frac{n^\alpha+1}{2n^8+5}$, for $\alpha > 0$, find the values of $\alpha$ such that the sequence converges.




However, I can never seem to get Mathematica to solve for a variable in a limit.


I have tried


Solve[Limit[(1 + n^a)/(5 + 2 n^8), n -> Infinity, Assumptions :> a > 0] == 0, a]

Reduce[Limit[(1 + n^a)/(5 + 2 n^8), n -> Infinity, Assumptions :> a > 0] == 0, a]

Solve gave me no solutions, with a warning about inverse function. Reduce gave me the solution is C[1] ∈ Integers && α == 0, which also violates the initial assumption ($\alpha > 0$). However, I tried particular cases manually, such as


Limit[(1 + n^3)/(5 + 2 n^8), n -> Infinity, Assumptions :> a > 0] == 0  

which gave True. Am I going about this in the wrong way?




Answer



For some reasons Limit does not work well with inequalities in assumptions. To see the problem one can try this :


Manipulate[ Limit[(1 + n^a)/(5 + 2 n^8), n -> Infinity, Assumptions -> a == h],
{h, 0, 20}]

it does work well unlike :


Manipulate[ Limit[(1 + n^a)/(5 + 2 n^8), n -> Infinity, Assumptions -> a > h],
{h, 0, 20}]

Since the first way works well, one can find easily (also in more sophisticated examples) appropriate values, e.g.



Limit[(1 + n^a)/(5 + 2 n^8), n -> Infinity, Assumptions -> #] & /@ { a < 8, a == 8, a > 8}


 {0, 1/2, Infinity}

The problem with using Limit with Reduce is rather of more general nature, e.g. :


Reduce[ Limit[(1 + n^a)/(5 + 2 n^8), n -> Infinity, Assumptions -> a == h] == 0, h, Reals]


 False


This is certainly a bug.


On the other hand SumConvergence seems to behave better :


Assuming[a ∈ Reals, SumConvergence[(1 + n^a)/(5 + 2 n^8), n]]


  a < 7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...