Skip to main content

Sorting function for non commuting bosons


I am trying to write a sorting function which will sort expressions involving products of bosonic objects which do not commute. For example, I can have objects like $a,\ a^\dagger,\ b,\ b^\dagger$ where $[a,a^\dagger] = 1$, $[b,b^\dagger] = 1$ and all other commutators vanish. So the sorting function should for example sort a term like $a a^\dagger b a b^\dagger$ to $a + a^\dagger a^2 + ab^\dagger b+a^\dagger a^2 b^\dagger b$. So I want to sort them first lexicographically and then such that dagger objects will be to the left.


I have been using a function from the notebook provided by Simon Tyler at arXiv. So I have created a bosonic object using


Clear[Boson, BosonC, BosonA]
Boson /: MakeBoxes[
Boson[cr : (True | False), sym_], fmt_] :=
With[{sbox = If[StringQ[sym], sym, ToBoxes[sym]]},
With[{abox = If[cr, SuperscriptBox[#, FormBox["\[Dagger]", Bold]], #] &@sbox},

InterpretationBox[abox, Boson[cr, sym]]
]
]
BosonA[sym_:"a"] := Boson[False, sym]
BosonC[sym_:"a"] := Boson[True, sym]

Next following the code, I want to turn the atomic expressions into lists and use Mathematica's ordering after that. So I have functions like


NCOrder[Boson[cr : True | False, sym_]] := 
NCOrder[Boson[cr, sym]] = {{sym, Boole[cr]}}


NCSort[expr_] := Module[{temp, NCM},
temp = expr /. NonCommutativeMultiply -> NCM;
temp = temp /. (NCM[a : _Boson ..] :> (NCM[a][[Ordering[#]]] &[NCOrder /@ {a}]));
temp = temp /. NCM[singleArg_] :> singleArg;
temp = temp /. NCM -> NonCommutativeMultiply
]

This NCSort function right now is just ordering it lexicographically. I want to modify it so that it would sort and order the expressions as I explained above.



Answer



I suggest the following function, which looks rather ugly and is not really efficient, but seems to do the job:



expand[expr_] :=
Module[{times},
expr /.
NonCommutativeMultiply[b___] :> times[b] //.
{
times[left___, cnum_ /; FreeQ[cnum, _Boson], right___] :>
cnum*times[left, right],
times[left___, fst : Boson[_, s_], middle__, sec : Boson[_, s_],right___] /;
FreeQ[{middle}, Boson[_, s]] &&
OrderedQ[{Last@Union[Cases[{middle}, Boson[_, sym_] :> sym]], s}] :>

times[left, middle, fst, sec, right],
times[left___, Boson[False, s_], Boson[True, s_], right___] :>
times[left, right] + times[left, Boson[True, s], Boson[False, s], right],
times[b_Boson] :> b
} //.
times[left___, p : Longest[PatternSequence[(b : Boson[type_, s_]) ..]],right___] :>
times[left, b^Length[{p}], right] /.
times[arg__] :> NonCommutativeMultiply[arg] /. times[] -> OverHat[1]
];


You can use it as


expand[NonCommutativeMultiply[BosonA["a"], BosonC["a"], BosonA["b"], BosonA["a"], BosonC["b"]]]

(*
a+a^\[Dagger]**a^2+a**b^\[Dagger]**b+a^\[Dagger]**a^2**b^\[Dagger]**b
*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?