Skip to main content

Output is Input for a Differential with Sign?


Here's the problem:


For one of my classes, we're supposed to use Mathematica to solve the equation y''=y-b*y' for a variety of b values and specified boundary conditions and plot the outputs. There I have no problem and Mathematica runs well. However, the next problem is to replace the -b*y' with -b*sign(y') and repeat part one. When I do this, Mathematica runs for a long time, then gives up and outputs the input. I tried removing the boundary conditions and just doing the general solution, but it can't figure that out, either. It isn't giving any errors, it just doesn't work. Any ideas? This is what my input looks like:


In[5]:=  beta = 0.2;
Solution = DSolve[{y''[x] == - y[x] - beta * Sign[y'[x]], y[0] == 1, y'[0] == -1}, y[x], x]
Out[6]= DSolve[{y''[x] == -0.2 Sign[y'[x]] - y[x], y[0] == 1, y'[0] == -1}, y[x], x]


Answer



Try to solve the problem numerically


beta = 0.2;

As you have observed, the problem is not solved in symbolic form:


Solution = 
DSolve[{y''[x] == -y[x] - beta*Sign[y'[x]], y[0] == 1, y'[0] == -1}, y[x],
x]

(* -> DSolve[{(y^\[Prime]\[Prime])[x] == -0.2 Sign[Derivative[1][y][x]] - y[x],

y[0] == 1, Derivative[1][y][0] == -1}, y[x], x] *)

Now using NDSolve for x in the interval 0 to 10 (say):


yy[x_] = y[x] /. NDSolve[{y''[x] == -y[x] - beta*Sign[y'[x]], y[0] == 1, y'[0] == -1}, y[x], {x, 0, 10}] [[1]]

(* InterpolatingFunction[{{0.`,10.`}},"<>"][x] *)

This works well, and the plot looks good


Plot[yy[x], {x, 0, 10}]


(* 140925_plot_yy.jpg *)

enter image description here


The following part has been edited because of an error (26.09.14 00:52):


The solution lookes like a damped oscillation. We can try to derive the behaviour of the solution for large x as follows:


Multiplying the differential equation by y' and observing y' Sign(y') = Abs(y') we have


$y' y'' = - y y' - beta |y'|$


which can be written as


$\frac{1}{2} \frac{d}{dx} (y'^2 + y^2) = - beta |y'|$


Up to this point the reasoning is ok but in the following there is a flaw. Now, assuming $beta > 0$ the right hand side is always $<0$ which means that the expression $\frac{1}{2} (y'^2 + y^2)$ is only decreasing with x, which means that it will go to 0 which means in turn that $y\to 0$



Sorry, I shall clarify the asymptotic behaviour later.


Hope this helps, Regards Wolfgang


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...