Skip to main content

graphics - Text[] with offset not positioned correctly in M11.1 and M11.2


Bug introduced in 11.1 and persisting through 11.3





When the first argument of Text is a Graphics, and the third argument (offset) is used, positioning is incorrect in M11.1 and M11.2. Mathematica 11.0 behaves correctly.


Example:


inset = Graphics[{Circle[{0, 0}, 2]}, Frame -> True, 
FrameTicks -> None, ImagePadding -> 1, PlotRangePadding -> None,
ImageSize -> 90]

Inset


figure = Graphics[
{Text[inset, Scaled[{0.5, 0.5}], {1, 1}]},
PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 1}},

Frame -> True,
GridLines -> {Range[0, 1, .1], Range[0, 1, .1]},
ImageSize -> 360
]

Incorrect positioning


(This is wrong)


With the {1,1} offset, the upper right corner of the inset should line up with the middle of the plot range in the enclosing figure.


In Mathematica 11.0 we get the expected output:


Correct positioning



In M11.1 and 11.2 we also get a correct positioning if the inset is a general notebook expression instead of a Graphics. We can, for example, wrap it in Framed to achieve this.


figure = Graphics[
{Text[Framed[inset], Scaled[{0.5, 0.5}], {1, 1}]},
PlotRange -> {{0, 1}, {0, 1}},
Frame -> True,
GridLines -> {Range[0, 1, .1], Range[0, 1, .1]},
ImageSize -> 360
]

Correct positioning with Framed



Is there a workaround for this bug?




This bug is of concern to me because MaTeX-generated expressions are supposed to be a drop-in replacement for text. It is supposed to work when written directly within Text. But MaTeX outputs Graphics, so it is affected by this bug. In some situations, the user can't even control if some expression they input will be used inside of a Text or an Inset.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...