Skip to main content

How to stop optimization (e.g. NMinimize) after reaching target value


Suppose we have some function f[x,y] that we want to optimize in way that we are only interested in values (x,y) that guarantee our function value is below some value target. See the following MWE:


f[x_, y_] := f[x, y] = x^2 - 4*x + y^2 - y - x*y;

findMin[target_, steps_] := Block[{nbr = -1},
solsOpt = NMinimize[
f[x, y],
{x, y},

Method -> "NelderMead",
(*EvaluationMonitor:>{nbr += 1; If[Mod[nbr, steps] == 0, Print["Step: ", nbr," ; Current value: ",f[x,y], " ; parameters: ",{x,y}],Print]}*)
EvaluationMonitor :> {nbr += 1; If[Mod[nbr, steps] == 0, Print["Step: ", nbr," ; Current value: ", f[x, y], " ; parameters: ", {x, y}], Print] || If[f[x, y] <= target, Abort[], Print]}
];
Print["Number of iterations: ", nbr];
Print["Final value: ", solsOpt[[1]]];
Return[solsOpt];
]

Of course findMin[-5,1] stops after a few iterations and I can read the values (x,y) that satisfy my criterion. However, I need to do that for a bunch of different functions f inside a ParallelTable structure, that in the end holds (function_index, final value, parameter values). By aborting no values are stored. What I want is something like "After reaching target, just assume optimization is finished and go on with the next one". Is that possible with the built-in function(s)?




Answer



Catch/Throw:


 findMin[target_, steps_] := 
Block[{nbr = -1},
solsOpt =
ReleaseHold@Catch@NMinimize[f[x, y], {x, y},
Method -> "NelderMead",
EvaluationMonitor :> {nbr += 1;
If[Mod[nbr, steps] == 0,
Print["Step: ", nbr, " ; Current value: ", f[x, y],

" ; parameters: ", {x, y}], Print] ||
If[f[x, y] <= target, Print["good enough"];
Throw[{f[x, y], {HoldForm[x] -> x, HoldForm[y] -> y}}],
Print]}];
Print["Number of iterations: ", nbr];
Print["Final value: ", solsOpt];
solsOpt]


findMin[-5, 1] (* three iterations, stop for threshold *)



{-6.1742, {x -> 2.2116, y -> 1.00612}}



 findMin[-50, 1]  (* 89 iterations , regular convergence *)


{-7., {x -> 3., y -> 2.}}



Aside , I don't know why you have the symbol Print in there a few times not applied to any arguments..



Also, aside from the question you can do NMinimize[fn = f[x, y],... then use the symbol fn in your conditional If[fn <= target .. so avoiding redundant evaluation of the function.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...