Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Derivative of integrated noise Gaussian likelihood


In a Bayesian problem with Gaussian likelihood with mean $\mu$ and a uniform prior on the standard deviation $\sigma$, it is possible to derive the marginal posterior (where $\sigma$ has been integrated out of the joint).


$p(\mu) = \int_a^b \mathcal{N}(x|\mu, \sigma) U(\sigma|a,b) p(\mu) \mathbb{d}\sigma$


which can be done in Mathematica (omitting $p(\mu)$ as it doesn't affect the integration):


Assuming[{a > 0, b > 0, n > 0, sse > 0, b > a}, 
Integrate[(1/(Sqrt[2 Pi sigma^2]))^n

Exp[-(x - mu)^2/(2 sigma^2)] PDF[UniformDistribution[{a, b}], sigma], {sigma, a, b}]]

To yield this expression,


(\[Pi]^(-n/2) (1/(mu - x)^2)^(-(1/2) + n/2) (Gamma[1/2 (-1 + n), (mu - x)^2/(2 a^2)] - 
Gamma[1/2 (-1 + n), (mu - x)^2/(2 b^2)]))/(2 Sqrt[2] (a - b))

Letting $g$ equal the log of the above expression, I can determine its derivative wrt x,


FullSimplify@D[g, mu]

which equals this horror,



 fDeriv2[x_, mu_, n_, a_, b_] := (-2^(3/2 - n/2) E^(-((mu - x)^2/(2 a^2))) ((mu - x)^2/a^2)^(1/2 (-1 + n)) +
2^(3/2 - n/2) E^(-((mu - x)^2/(2 b^2))) ((mu - x)^2/b^2)^(
1/2 (-1 + n)) - (-1 + n) (Gamma[1/2 (-1 + n), (mu - x)^2/(2 a^2)] -
Gamma[1/2 (-1 + n), (mu - x)^2/(2 b^2)]))/((mu - x) (Gamma[1/2 (-1 + n), (mu - x)^2/(2 a^2)] -
Gamma[1/2 (-1 + n), (mu - x)^2/(2 b^2)]))

The issue with this expression is that it becomes unstable when $x - mu$ is small and $n$ is large.


For example,


fDeriv2[0.1, 0.2, 100, 2, 4]


yields


ComplexInfinity

I know that the derivative exists but the denominator and the numerator are either really big or small which, with numerical under/over-flow leads the calculation to fail.


Does anyone know how I can derive a more 'friendly' expression for the derivative that doesn't have these pathologies?


Edit: to further illustrate the pathologies of this expression, I plot it as a function of x:


Plot[fDeriv2[x, 10, 100, 2, 4], {x, 10, 100}, PlotRange -> Full]

enter image description here



Answer




The answer to this is actually much simpler than it appears since I failed to notice that there is a common term (differences of two incomplete Gammas) in the above. This means that we can avoid the numerical issues above by the following expression (note, not an approximation):


fDeriv[x_, mu_, n_, a_, b_] := ((-2^(3/2 - n/2) E^(-((mu - x)^2/(2 a^2))) ((mu - x)^2/
a^2)^(1/2 (-1 + n)) +
2^(3/2 - n/2) E^(-((mu - x)^2/(2 b^2))) ((mu - x)^2/
b^2)^(1/2 (-1 + n)))/((mu - x) Gamma[
1/2 (-1 + n), (mu - x)^2/(2 a^2), (mu - x)^2/(2 b^2)]) - (-1 +
n)/(mu - x))

which when plotted produces a graph indistinguishable from that of JimB's answer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...