Skip to main content

programming - How can I overload a function with multiple bracket-slots so f[a][b] and f[a] can coexist?


Maybe this is not even possible:


I want to create a function f that can have two input brackets like:


f[a_][b_:1]:= a*b

and alternatively just one input bracket:


f[a_]:= a

But with overloading the definitions the second definition interferes with the first definition, because the pattern f[a_] is replaced in a expression like:



In:


f[2][3]

Out:


2[3]

with the result of f[2] (in this case)


Of course, I could use just one bracket slot like f[a_,b_:1], instead of f[a_][b_:1], but thats not the point.


So i am asking for an optional bracket slot. Is that possible?


(BTW, I dont know the correct name of the []-Pattern, and called it bracket slot)




Answer



In the Standard Evaluation Sequence the heads of expressions are evaluated first:




  1. If the expression is a raw object (e.g., Integer, String, etc.), leave it unchanged.




  2. Evaluate the head h of the expression.





  3. Evaluate each element of the expression in turn ...




Therefore since f[1] is the head of f[1][2] it will evaluate if it has a definition that matches. This is unavoidable in standard evaluation. To get around this requires Stack trickery that Leonid illustrated here. It works on the principle that f is the head of f[1] itself and is therefore evaluated first of all.


Here is a meta-function to automate his method:


SetAttributes[deepDefine, HoldAll]

deepDefine[s_Symbol, LHS_, RHS_] :=
s :=
With[{stack = Stack[_]},

With[{fcallArgs = Cases[stack, HoldForm[LHS] :> RHS]},
(First@fcallArgs &) & /; fcallArgs =!= {}
]
]

We now apply it like this:


ClearAll[f]

deepDefine[f, f[a_][b_: 1], a*b]


f[a_] := a

Test:


f[x]
f[x][y]
f[z][]


x


x y

z

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...