Skip to main content

front end - Prompt a set of possible options


Recent versions of Mathematica dynamically prompt a list of possible options. For example, when typing


Plot[x, {x,0,1}, PlotStyle->


After typing the arrow, Mathematica prompt a list Gray, Dashed, Thick for choice. How to define similar behavior for user defined functions? For example,


Options[myFun] = {myOpt -> value};
myFun[OptionsPattern[]] := 1;

How to prompt a set of possible options, like opt1, opt2, opt3 right after typing


myFun[myOpt->

Answer



Thanks for asking this question; I might not have discovered this customizable area without it.


The auto-completion option values are automatically loaded on Front End start from:


FileNameJoin[{$InstallationDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd",

"SystemResources", "FunctionalFrequency", "OptionValues"}]

This directory contains a series of Package (.m) files each with the name of a function, e.g. ArrayPlot.m. The file name itself determines that this will apply to the function ArrayPlot. It also contains an additional file that appears to apply to all functions: CommonOptions.m


The structure of each file is a list of Rules:


{Extension -> {"Automatic"}, Trig -> {"True", "False"}}


  • The right hand side of each rule is always a list of Strings or an empty list {}

  • Option values that are actual strings must be escaped: "\"string\""

  • Option names must be Symbols (thanks Kuba)



A special Rule form exists for icons within the menu, e.g. from ArrayPlot.m:


PlotTheme ->
{{"\"Web\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Web.png"},
{"\"Minimal\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Minimal.png"},
{"\"Detailed\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Detailed.png"},
{"\"Business\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Business.png"},
{"\"Marketing\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Marketing.png"},
{"\"Scientific\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Scientific.png"},
{"\"Monochrome\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Monochrome.png"},

{"\"Classic\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Classic.png"},
{"\"Default\"", "PlotTheme-ArrayPlot-Default.png"}}

Each of these icon files reside in:


FileNameJoin @ {$InstallationDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd", 
"SystemResources", "Bitmaps", "Popups", "CodeCompletion", "Thumbnails"}

I have not checked to see if other paths are also searched.


As an example I created a new file foo.m in the OptionValues directory with the content:


{myOption -> {"Doc", "Grumpy", "Happy", "Sleepy", "Bashful", "Sneezy", "Dopey"}}


Now after (re)starting Mathematica:


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...