Skip to main content

differential equations - Debugging NDSolve to see numerical values at each time-step


I wish to debug my NDSolve function and this is my first time using the Mathematica debugger. I have read around and attempted various different ways of debugging but I cannot figure it out. I want to be able to go step by step through NDSolve and see values for x[t], y[t], t, etc.. My code is as follows:


(* Define the \[Theta] terms via piecewise functions *)
\[Theta]North \
:= Piecewise[{{ArcTan[x[t] - L/2 , y[t] - H],

x[t] > L/2 && y[t] > H}, {ArcTan[x[t] - L/2, H - y[t]],
x[t] > L/2 && y[t] < H}, {ArcTan[L/2 - x[t], y[t] - H],
x[t] < L/2 && y[t] > H}, {ArcTan[L/2 - x[t], H - y[t]],
x[t] < L/2 && y[t] < H}}]


(* Define the force terms in the x and y directions using piecewise \
functions *)
Fnx :=
Piecewise[{{Cn*Abs[H - y[t]]*Cos[\[Theta]North]*Sign[L/2 - x[t]],

x[t] != L/2 && y[t] != H}, {Cn*(L/2 - x[t]), y[t] == H}, {0,
x[t] == L/2}}]
Fny := Piecewise[{{Cn*(H - y[t])*Sin[\[Theta]North],
y[t] != H && x[t] != L/2}, {Cn*(H - y[t]), x[t] == L/2}, {0,
y[t] == H}}]

(* Define frictional terms *)
Ffx := -B*Sign[x'[t]]
Ffy := -B*Sign[y'[t]]


solution =
NDSolve[{x''[t] == (1/M)*(Fnx + Ffx), y''[t] == (1/M)*(Fny + Ffy),
x[0] == x0, x'[0] == vx0, y[0] == y0, y'[0] == vy0}, {x, y, Fnx,
Fny, \[Theta]North}, {t, 0, simTime}];

Is there a way to peer inside of NDSolve one step at a time? (I hope so that is kind of the point of a debugger).


Edit 1: Adding Parameter values:


(* Define the constants for simulation *)
(* Define the size of the \
box *)

L = 5;
H = 5;
(* Define Spring Constant *)
Cn = 0.3;
(* Define initial conditions *)
x0 = 0;
y0 = 0;
vx0 = 0;
vy0 = 0;
(* Define magnitude of sliding friction *)

B = 0.1;
(* Define mass of object *)
M = 1;
(* Define the simulation length *)
simTime = 50;

Answer



The steps are stored in the InterpolatingFunction results. Here's a way to view five steps at a time:


stepdata = MapThread[
Function[{tt, xx, yy, xp, yp},
Block[{x, y, t},

x[t] = xx; x'[t] = xp;
y[t] = yy; y'[t] = yp;
{First@tt, {x[t], y[t]}, {x'[t], y'[t]}, θNorth, {Fnx,
Fny}} /. solution]
],
{x["Grid"], x["ValuesOnGrid"], y["ValuesOnGrid"],
x'["ValuesOnGrid"], y'["ValuesOnGrid"]} /. solution
];

Manipulate[

TableForm[
Map[Pane[#, {100, 40}] &, stepdata[[n ;; n + 4]], {2}],
TableHeadings -> {None,
HoldForm /@
Unevaluated@{First@t, {x[t], y[t]}, {x'[t], y'[t]}, θNorth, {Fnx, Fny}}}],
{n, 1, Length@stepdata - 4}]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...