Skip to main content

Plotting a section of an hemisphere


I'm writing a little package in Mathematica for geology where a particular stone may be approximated as an hemisphere. Anyway this is a rough estimation because a real hemisphere has its height as loong as its radius. Instead, a reservoir stone (for an hydrocarbon) has often a form of a section of an hemisphere, its height is lower than the radius. For example, I can have an hemisphere with radius long 5 km and height of only 3 km and I can plot it like that:


semisfera[x_, y_, raggio_] := Sqrt[raggio^2 - (x - raggio)^2 - (y - raggio)^2];

plotsemisfera = Plot3D[semisfera[x, y, raggioSfera], {x, 0, 2 raggioSfera}, {y, 0, 2 raggioSfera}, PlotRange -> {0, 3}, AxesLabel -> {"lunghezza km" , "larghezza km","profondità km"}, PlotLabel -> Style[Framed["Referenced Theorical Hemisphere"], 22, Black]]

and I get the following graphic: enter image description here


you'll agree with me that is a section of ah hemisphere without the top part, won't you?


Sometimes it may happen that the height is << radius. In my case, my geology student worked on a stone with radius of 5km and an height of only 0.2 km. If I try to plot this as I've done before, I get a very awful graphic, here:


enter image description here


So, I'd just like to know if there is a way to plot a more precise graphic, without all that irregular part at the base of the hemisphere.


The centre of the "hemisphere" should be in = <0,0>


Maybe it could be something like that: http://uploadpie.com/eAVvq


but I really don't understand why for low values of the height the base of the hemisphere is so jagged!



How can I plot that? Thank you



Answer



Edit


I now have a better understanding of what you are looking for.


To get plot centered at the origin defined in terms of the radius and height, then you can use SphericalPlot3D as Kuba suggested. It would go like this.


theta[r_, h_] /; 0 < h < r := π/2. - ArcTan[Sqrt[r^2 - h^2], h]
With[{r = 5, h = 3, zScale = .3},
SphericalPlot3D[r, {θ, theta[r, h], π/2}, {ϕ, 0, 2 π}, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, zScale}]]

spherical-sect-1



Note the use of a parameter to scale z-axis. It is set to h/(2 r) in the above plot. This gives true proportions.


In the extreme of r = 5 and h = .2, zScale will need to be adjusted to give a reasonable looking plot, which is going to look very much like a cylinder.


With[{r = 5, h = .2, zScale = .25}, 
SphericalPlot3D[r, {θ, theta[r, h], π/2.}, {ϕ, 0, 2 π}, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, zScale}]]

spherical-sect-2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...