Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Integral depends on choice of symbols


I am trying to perform integrals of the kind $\int dx\frac{x^2-q^2}{z-x+i\eta}$. Mathematica, however, gives back different results whenever I replace the parameter $z$ by $w$, for instance, as follows


Integrate[$\frac{x^2-q^2}{z-x+i \eta}$,$x$]//FullSimplify=$-\frac{1}{2}(x-z-i\eta)(x+3z+3i\eta)+(q^2-(z+i\eta)^2)\log{\left(-x+z+i\eta\right)}$ and


Integrate[$\frac{x^2-q^2}{w-x+i \eta}$,$x$]//FullSimplify=$\frac{1}{2}\left(-x\left(2w+x+2i\eta\right)+\left(q-w-i\eta\right)\left(q+w+i\eta\right)\left(2i\arctan{\left(\frac{\eta}{w-x}\right)}+\log{\left(\left(w-x\right)^2+\eta^2\right)}\right)\right)$



The results do not only have a different form, but taking the limit $\eta\rightarrow0$ after performing the integral yields different results. Note that the only difference between the integrals is the name of the parameter $z$. Can anyone tell me what's going on here and what the correct result would be. Thanks!


(Code)


Integrate[(x^2 - q^2)/(z - x + I η), x] // FullSimplify


-(1/2) (x - z - I η) (x + 3 z + 3 I η) + (q^2 - (z + I η)^2) Log[-x + z + I η]



Integrate[(x^2 - q^2)/(w - x + I η), x] // FullSimplify



1/2 (-x (2 w + x + 2 I η) + (q - w - I η) (q + w + I η) (2 I ArcTan[η/(w - x)] + Log[(w - x)^2 + η^2]))




Answer



$Version

(* "11.0.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (July 28, 2016)" *)

expr = (x^2 - q^2)/(z - x + I η);

i1 = Integrate [expr, x] // FullSimplify


(* -(1/2) (x - z - I η) (x + 3 z +
3 I η) + (q^2 - (z + I η)^2) Log[-x + z + I η] *)

Change of z to w


i2 = Integrate [expr /. z -> w, x] // FullSimplify

(* 1/2 (-x (2 w + x + 2 I η) + (q - w - I η) (q + w +
I η) (2 I ArcTan[η/(w - x)] + Log[(w - x)^2 + η^2])) *)


Indefinite integrals can differ by an arbitrary (complex) constant of integration. The canonical order of the variables involved can affect the choice of this arbitrary constant. However, differentiation of either result returns the original expression.


expr == D[i1, x] == (D[i2, x] /. w -> z) // Simplify

(* True *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...