Skip to main content

plotting - Smooth ParametricPlot3D with RegionFunction?


What's the preferred way to paint spots on a curved surface without getting raggedy edges? Using ParametricPlot3D with RegionFunction gets the shape I want but increasing PlotPoints slows things down considerably. Counterintuitively Reducing PlotPoints to 50 gives better looking results than 100:



With[{a = 0.8, b = 0.4, r = 5^0.5, l = 10, points = 50}, 
ParametricPlot3D[{{x, -Sqrt[r^2 - x^2], z}, {x, Sqrt[r^2 - x^2],
z}}, {x, -r, r}, {z, -l/2, l/2},
RegionFunction ->
Function[{x, y, z}, (x/a)^2 + (z/b)^2 < 1 && y > 0], Mesh -> None,
PerformanceGoal -> "Quality", PlotPoints -> points]]

First image has points =50, second image has points = 100.


enter image description here enter image description here



Answer





What's the preferred way to paint spots on a curved surface without getting raggedy edges?



I use MeshFunctions, MeshShading, and Mesh:


Show[
(* Head *)
ParametricPlot3D[
(1 + 0.05 Cos[u]) {Sin[u] Cos[v], Sin[u] Sin[v], 0} + {0, 0, 1.05 Cos[u]},
{u, 0, π}, {v, 0, 2 π},
(* mouth *)

MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z, u, v}, x + 0.5 (2 y^2 - 2 (z + 0.5))^2]},
MeshShading -> {Black, Lighter@Red, Yellow},
Mesh -> {{-0.85, -0.82}},
(*****)
AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "z"}, PlotPoints -> 100],
(* Eyes *)
ParametricPlot3D[
Sin[1.9 (u - 0.45)]^2 (0.36 + 0.8 (Sqrt[0.5 + 2 Abs[v]])) Cos[1.5 v] *
{-Sin[u] Cos[v], -Sin[u] Sin[v], Cos[u]},
{u, π/6, π/2}, {v, -π/6, π/6},

(* pupil & iris *)
MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z, u, v},
Sin[1.9 (u - 0.49)]^2 (0.36 + 0.8 (Sqrt[0.5 + 2 Abs[v]])) Cos[1.5 v]]},
MeshShading -> {White, Lighter@Blue, Black},
Mesh -> {{1.06, 1.077}},
(*****)
AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "z"}, PlotPoints -> 100],
(* Tongue *)
ParametricPlot3D[
{-u, 0, -u^2/4 - 0.15} + 0.15 Sqrt[Sqrt[(1.2 - u)]] *

(2 Cos[v] {0, 1, 0} + Sin[v] {-u/2, 0, 1 - 0.5 Sin[v]}/Sqrt[u^2 + 1]),
{u, 0.5, 1.2}, {v, 0, 2 π}, PlotStyle -> Red, Mesh -> None],
PlotRange -> All
]

Mathematica graphics


It has the advantage of having borders that meet each other exactly. (Pasting a surface patch on another surface usually requires a small gap between them, or rounding error in the GPU causes the image to shimmer.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...