Skip to main content

equation solving - Problem with NSolve Speed



I have a very complicated function but only of 1 variable. I want to find the first value for which that function is zero. Mathematica can easily plot it:


func = Det[coeffMatrix];
Plot[func, {\[Beta]1, 0, 3}]

enter image description here



From that plot, one can easily see that the first value would be ~2.556.


To show that $\beta_1$ = 2.556 is actually the approximate solution:


func /. \[Beta]1 -> 2.556


-0.00139597



However, when I try to find it numerically:


NSolve[func == 0 && 0 < \[Beta]1 < 10, \[Beta]1]


...it just runs and runs and runs and never gives an answer. Why ? and how can I fix it ?


The complete code


constants = {b1 -> (-(Cosh[
0.68*\[Beta]1]*(0.6553600000000004*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*
Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1] -
0.6553600000000004*Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*
Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1] +
1.2621440000000002*Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1] +
0.7378559999999998*Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1]*
Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1])) +

Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*(-0.7378559999999998*Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1] -
1.2621440000000002*Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1])*
Sinh[0.68*\[Beta]1])/(Cosh[
0.68*\[Beta]1]*(-0.6553600000000004*Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*
Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1] +
1.2621440000000002*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1] +
0.7378559999999998*Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1] -
0.6553600000000004*Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1]) +
Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*(0.7378559999999998*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1] +
1.2621440000000002*Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1])*Sinh[0.68*\[Beta]1]),

b2 -> (2.5*
Sec[0.68*\[Beta]1]*(Cosh[
0.68*\[Beta]1]*(-0.26214400000000015 +
0.26214400000000015*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*
Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1] -
Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1]) +
0.8*(Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1] -
Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1])*
Sinh[0.68*\[Beta]1]))/((0.7378559999999998*
Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1] +

1.2621440000000002*Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1])*Sinh[0.68*\[Beta]1] +
Cosh[0.68*\[Beta]1]*(-0.6553600000000004*Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1] -
0.6553600000000004*Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1] +
1.2621440000000002*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Tan[0.68*\[Beta]1] +
0.7378559999999998*Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Tan[0.68*\[Beta]1])),
d2 -> (2.5*
Sech[0.68*\[Beta]1]*(-0.26214400000000015*Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1] +
0.8*Cosh[
0.15*\[Beta]1]*(0.3276800000000002*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*
Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1] +

Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1]*
Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1]) + (Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*
Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1] -
0.8*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1])*
Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1]))/(-0.6553600000000004*
Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*Sin[0.15*\[Beta]1] +
1.2621440000000002*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1] -
0.6553600000000004*Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*Sinh[0.15*\[Beta]1] +
0.7378559999999998*Cos[0.15*\[Beta]1]*Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*
Tanh[0.68*\[Beta]1] +

Cosh[0.15*\[Beta]1]*(0.7378559999999998*Sin[0.68*\[Beta]1] +
1.2621440000000002*Cos[0.68*\[Beta]1]*Tanh[0.68*\[Beta]1]))}

matrix = {{a1 (Sin[u \[Beta]1] - Sinh[u \[Beta]1]),
b1 (Cos[u \[Beta]1] - Cosh[u \[Beta]1]), -b2*
Cos[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1], -d2*
Cosh[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1]}, {a1 (Cos[u \[Beta]1] -
Cosh[u \[Beta]1]), b1 (-Sin[u \[Beta]1] - Sinh[u \[Beta]1]),
b2*\[Theta]*Sin[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1], -d2*\[Theta]*
Sinh[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1]}, {a1 (-Sin[u \[Beta]1] -

Sinh[u \[Beta]1]), b1 (-Cos[u \[Beta]1] - Cosh[u \[Beta]1]),
b2*\[Alpha]^4*\[Theta]^2*
Cos[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1], -d2*\[Alpha]^4*\[Theta]^2*
Cosh[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1]}, {a1 (-Cos[u \[Beta]1] -
Cosh[u \[Beta]1]),
b1 (Sin[u \[Beta]1] -
Sinh[u \[Beta]1]), -b2*\[Alpha]^4*\[Theta]^3*
Sin[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1], -d2*\[Alpha]^4*\[Theta]^3*
Sinh[y*\[Theta]*\[Beta]1]}};


testingParam = { \[Theta] -> 0.8, \[Alpha] -> 0.8, u -> 0.15,
y -> 1 - 0.15} ;

coeffMatrix = (matrix /. a1 -> 1) /. constants /. testingParam ;

func = Det[coeffMatrix];
NSolve[func == 0 && 0 < \[Beta]1 < 10, \[Beta]1]

Answer



From: About multi-root search in Mathematica for transcendental equations


f[\[Beta]1_] = Det[coeffMatrix];

zeros = Reap[
NDSolve[{y'[x] == D[f[x], x], WhenEvent[y[x] == 0, Sow[{x, y[x]}]],
y[1] == f[1]}, {}, {x, 3, 0.01}]][[-1, 1]]
Plot[f[x], {x, 0, 3},
Epilog -> {PointSize[Medium], Red, Point[zeros]}]


{{2.61534, -5.0246*10^-18}}



enter image description here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...