Skip to main content

numerical integration - Help For Solving Complicated Function


I have a piece-wise defined function:


a1[x_] = -0.30744074406928307` Cos[1.0065881856430914` x] + 
0.30744074406928307` Cosh[1.0065881856430914` x] +
Sin[1.0065881856430914` x] - Sinh[1.0065881856430914` x];


a2[x_] = 0.0384058298228355` Cos[1.7899950449175461` x] +
0.008258500530147013` Cosh[1.7899950449175461` x];

param = {u -> 6/11, y -> 5/11};

\[Phi][x] =
Piecewise[{{a1[x], 0 <= x <= u}, {a2[1 - x], u < x <= 1}}, {x, 0,
1}] /. param


I can plot it:


Plot[\[Phi][x], {x, 0, 1}]

enter image description here


Now I would like to calculate $n_{PI}$. See here for more details: How to solve this equation numerically or analytically


So... I define some constants:


b = 1;
g = 1;
h = 1;


And try to compute $n_{PI}$:


nom[n_?NumericQ] := 
NIntegrate[(b \[Phi][x])/(g - n \[Phi][x])^2 +
53/100*(h^(1/2) \[Phi][x])/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(3/2) +
53/200*(b^(1/4) \[Phi][x])/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(5/4), {x, 0, 1},
Method -> "LocalAdaptive"]

denom[n_?NumericQ] :=
NIntegrate[(2 b \[Phi][x]^2)/(g - n \[Phi][x])^3 +
159/200*(h^(1/2) \[Phi][x]^2)/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(5/2) +

53/160*(b^(1/4) \[Phi][x]^2)/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(9/4), {x, 0, 1},
Method -> "LocalAdaptive"]

nPI = FindRoot[n - nom[n]/denom[n] == 0, {n, 0.01},
Method -> {"Newton", "UpdateJacobian" -> 3}]

So far, it seems to work. But then I also want to change the constant b with respect to the x-position so I introduce b as:


b=Piecewise[{{5*10^-6, 0 <= x <= u}, {50*10^-6, u < x <= 1}}, {x, 0, 
1}] /. param;


But I get the error:



NIntegrate::inumr: The integrand (2 ([Piecewise] Times[<<2>>]+Times[<<2>>]+Sin[<<1>>]+Times[<<2>>] 0<=x<=6/11 1[Plus[<<2>>]] 6/11


)^2)/(1-0.01 Piecewise[{{<<2>>},{<<2>>}},{x,0,1}])^3+(159 ([Piecewise] <<1>>)^2)/(200 (1-0.01 Piecewise[{{<<2>>},{<<2>>}},{x,0,1}])^(5/2))+(53 ([Piecewise] Times[<<2>>]+Times[<<2>>]+Sin[<<1>>]+Times[<<2>>] 0<=x<=6/11 1[Plus[<<2>>]] 6/11


)^2)/(160 (1-0.01 Piecewise[{{<<2>>},{<<2>>}},{x,0,1}])^(9/4)) has evaluated to non-numerical values for all sampling points in the region with boundaries {{6/11,1}}.



Any help would be highly appreciated !!


For easier copy and paste:


a[x_] = -0.30744074406928307` Cos[1.0065881856430914` x] + 
0.30744074406928307` Cosh[1.0065881856430914` x] +

Sin[1.0065881856430914` x] - Sinh[1.0065881856430914` x];

b[x_] = 0.0384058298228355` Cos[1.7899950449175461` x] +
0.008258500530147013` Cosh[1.7899950449175461` x];
param = {u -> 6/11, y -> 5/11};

\[Phi][x] =
Piecewise[{{a[x], 0 <= x <= u}, {b[1 - x], u < x <= 1}}, {x, 0,
1}] /. param


b = Piecewise[{{5*10^-6, 0 <= x <= u}, {50*10^-6, u < x <= 1}}, {x, 0,
1}] /. param;
g = 1;
h = 1;

nom[n_?NumericQ] :=
NIntegrate[(b \[Phi][x])/(g - n \[Phi][x])^2 +
53/100*(h^(1/2) \[Phi][x])/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(3/2) +
53/200*(b^(1/4) \[Phi][x])/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(5/4), {x, 0, 1},
Method -> "LocalAdaptive"]


denom[n_?NumericQ] :=
NIntegrate[(2 b \[Phi][x]^2)/(g - n \[Phi][x])^3 +
159/200*(h^(1/2) \[Phi][x]^2)/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(5/2) +
53/160*(b^(1/4) \[Phi][x]^2)/(g - n \[Phi][x])^(9/4), {x, 0, 1},
Method -> "LocalAdaptive"]

nPI = FindRoot[n - nom[n]/denom[n] == 0, {n, 0.01},
Method -> {"Newton", "UpdateJacobian" -> 3}]

Answer




a1[x_] = -0.30744074406928307` Cos[1.0065881856430914` x] + 
0.30744074406928307` Cosh[1.0065881856430914` x] +
Sin[1.0065881856430914` x] - Sinh[1.0065881856430914` x];

a2[x_] = 0.0384058298228355` Cos[1.7899950449175461` x] +
0.008258500530147013` Cosh[1.7899950449175461` x];

param = u -> 6/11;

Ï•[x_] := Piecewise[{{a1[x], 0 <= x <= u}, {a2[1 - x], u < x <= 1}}, {x, 0, 1}] /. param;


b[x_] := Piecewise[{{5*10^-6, 0 <= x <= u}, {50*10^-6, u < x <= 1}}, {x, 0, 1}] /. param;
g = 1;
h = 1;

nom[n_?NumericQ] :=
NIntegrate[(b[x] Ï•[x])/(g - n Ï•[x])^2 +
53/100*(h^(1/2) Ï•[x])/(g - n Ï•[x])^(3/2) +
53/200*(b[x]^(1/4) Ï•[x])/(g - n Ï•[x])^(5/4), {x, 0, 1},
Method -> "LocalAdaptive"]


denom[n_?NumericQ] :=
NIntegrate[(2 b[x] Ï•[x]^2)/(g - n Ï•[x])^3 +
159/200*(h^(1/2) Ï•[x]^2)/(g - n Ï•[x])^(5/2) +
53/160*(b[x]^(1/4) Ï•[x]^2)/(g - n Ï•[x])^(9/4), {x, 0, 1},
Method -> "LocalAdaptive"]

nPI = FindRoot[n - nom[n]/denom[n] == 0, {n, 10},
Method -> {"Newton", "UpdateJacobian" -> 3}]


(* {n -> 9.81491} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...