Skip to main content

animation - Simulation of a Camshaft


This is a new question which I will reuse the codes of a previous question (When to use GeometricTransformation or Rotate) that belongs to me.


I am doing this way because these questions have different goals and I am progressing this way.


With the help of the user Sjoerd C. de Vries I learned how to rotate an object graph that I am calling of cam.


Now I came across another problem. How to make my valve stays tangent in the whole course of the cam?


Here is a link to what I'm trying to show: CamShaft


My code:



r1 = 15; r2 = 8; c = 50; γ = ArcSin[(r1 - r2)/c] // N;

l1 = (2 γ + π) r1;
l2 = (π - 2 γ) r2;
l3 = 2 c Cos[γ];
L = 2 c Cos[γ] + (2 γ + π) r1 + (π -
2 γ) r2;

cam = {Circle[{0, 0}, r1, {Pi/2 - γ, ((3*Pi))/2 + γ}],
Circle[{c, 0}, r2, {Pi/2 - γ, -(Pi/2) + γ}],

Line[{{Cos[Pi/2 - γ]*r1,
Sin[Pi/2 - γ]*r1}, {Cos[Pi/2 - γ]*r2 + c,
Sin[Pi/2 - γ]*r2}}],
Line[{{Cos[((3*Pi))/2 + γ]*r1,
Sin[((3*Pi))/2 + γ]*r1}, {Cos[-(Pi/2) + γ]*r2 + c,
Sin[-(Pi/2) + γ]*r2}}], PointSize[0.03], Point[{0, 0}]};

g = Graphics[cam];

valve = Graphics[

{
Red,
Thickness[0.008],
Circle[{0, posição = 15 + rValve}, rValve = 4, {0, -Pi}],
Line[{{-rValve, posição}, {-rValve, posição + 20}}],
Line[{{rValve, posição}, {rValve, posição + 20}}],
Line[{{-rValve, posição + 20}, {rValve, posição + 20}}]
}
];


Show[g, valve]

enter image description here


The code is represented an initial position of my study because I cannot develop the next steps.


I do not know how to make the valve tap the cam throughout the course.




Answer



RegionDistance can be useful here.


cambd = RegionUnion[
Circle[{0, 0}, r1, {Pi/2 - γ, ((3*Pi))/2 + γ}],

Circle[{c, 0}, r2, {-(Pi/2) + γ, Pi/2 - γ}],
Line[{{Cos[Pi/2 - γ]*r1, Sin[Pi/2 - γ]*r1}, {Cos[Pi/2 - γ]*r2 + c, Sin[Pi/2 - γ]*r2}}],
Line[{{Cos[((3*Pi))/2 + γ]*r1, Sin[((3*Pi))/2 + γ]*r1}, {Cos[-(Pi/2) + γ]*r2 + c, Sin[-(Pi/2) + γ]*r2}}]
];

posiçãoVal[α_?NumericQ] :=
With[{cambdα = TransformedRegion[cambd, RotationTransform[α]]},
y /. Quiet[FindRoot[RegionDistance[cambdα, {0, y}] == rValve, {y, 60}]]
]


Table[posiçãoVal[α], {α, 0, 2π - π/6, π/6}]


{19., 20.4853, 30.8282, 62., 30.8282, 20.4853, 19., 19., 19., 19., 19., 19.}

frames = Table[
Graphics[{
GeometricTransformation[cam, RotationMatrix[α]],
posição = posiçãoVal[α];
{Red, Thickness[0.008],

Circle[{0, posição}, rValve = 4, {-Pi, 0}],
Line[{{-rValve, posição}, {-rValve, posição + 20}}],
Line[{{rValve, posição}, {rValve, posição + 20}}],
Line[{{-rValve, posição + 20}, {rValve, posição + 20}}]}
},
PlotRange -> {{-59, 59}, {-59, 83}}
],
{α, 0, 2π - π/12, π/12}
];


Export["Desktop/cam.gif", frames];

enter image description here


Here's a plot of the valve height relative to the cam center point:


Plot[posiçãoVal[α], {α, 0, 2π}, PlotRange -> {15, 66}]

enter image description here


In polar coordinates, we can see we're indeed tracing the isocurve of distance 4 from the cam:


Show[
PolarPlot[posiçãoVal[α+π/2], {α, 0, 2π}, PolarAxes -> {True, False}, PolarTicks -> {"Degrees", Automatic}],

Graphics[{Red, Thick, cam}]
]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...