Skip to main content

How to make a Dynamic Calculator to solve a quadratic equation?


Taking my first steps in the world of Mathematica Programming.


The aim of my program was to modify Wolfram's dynamic calculator
(which performs an addition subtraction and a product - in response to the user inputting two values used to perform these operations)
to now take three input and display on the three outputs:



[1] the quadratic equation to be solved
[2] the roots of this quadratic equation
[3] the discriminant of this equation


The three things (in red text) which you have to input are:


first input box is coefficient a
second input box is coefficient b
third input box is coefficient c


These coefficients represent a,b and c in the quadratic equation $ax^2 + bx +c$


So the Wolfram Demonstration & My attempt (the code below) look like this: http://www.controlmanchester.com/2013/08/01/quadratic-equation-images/


The code for the original program is available here: http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/example/ConstructADynamicCalculator.html



This is the code that I have written (modified really):


 DynamicModule[ 
{a = 0, b = 0, c = 0},
Deploy[
Style[
Panel[
Grid[
Transpose[
{
{

Style["input a ", Red],
Style["input b", Red],
Style["input c", Red],
"here is the equation",
"here is the value of the discriminant",
"here are the roots"},

{InputField[Dynamic[a], Number],
InputField[Dynamic[b], Number],
InputField[Dynamic[c], Number],

InputField[Dynamic[a*x^2 + b*x + c],Enabled -> False],
InputField[Dynamic[b]^2 - (4*Dynamic[a]*Dynamic[c]) , Enabled -> False],
InputField[Dynamic[a b], Enabled -> False]}
}
]
, Alignment -> Right]
, ImageMargins -> 10]
,
DefaultOptions -> {InputField -> {ContinuousAction -> True,
FieldSize -> {{5, 30}, {1, Infinity}}}}]

]
]

I have discovered, via trial and error, that within an input field I cannot simply try something like
Solve[x^2 + a x + 1 == 0, x] or Roots[ ].


I think this is where the heart of my problem lies.


At the moment the variables I put in do propagate down and show the coefficients of the quadratic, but I cannot get any further with it.


Any help, or guidance to things I should read are most welcome.


Many Thanks, David


p.s. I have seen from the answer by Mike Honeychurch that I have not described the problem as clearly as possible. I have edited the post :) I hope this makes my problem easier to understand




Answer



My first thought was this:


Manipulate[
Grid[
{
{TraditionalForm[u]},
{"Equation", Row[{u, " = 0"}]},
{"Solutions", Solve[u == 0, x]},
{"Roots", Roots[u == 0, x]},
{"Discriminant", Discriminant[u, x]}

}, Alignment -> Left],
{{u, x^2 + 2 x + 1}},
BaseStyle -> FontSize -> 16]

equationsolver


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...