Skip to main content

plotting - ParametricPlot3D etc. with parameters satisfying an implicit relation


I need some help on plotting the curve generated by a vector, given its three components as a function of two parameters, e.g. s1 and s2, whose range are known, and they have to satisfy a given constraint equation. Below is a simple example:


I can plot a surface of such a vector e.g. : ParametricPlot3D[{s1, s2, s1}, {s1, 0, 2 Pi}, {s2, 0, 2 Pi}], which gives a plane. Now I need to add a constraint, e.g. Cos[s1] + Cos[s2] + Cos[s1] Cos[s2] = -1. Then I expect the desired figure to be a curve. But I wonder how to plot this curve? Should I use the ParametricPlot3D function or what else? and how?


Please note that the above is just a simple example, and in my case, I may not be able solve for the constraint equation.


Thanks for any suggestions!


Update II:



Finally I notice that the answer by Michael is probably right, the inconsistence is due to my formulation error, so I have deleted that part. Thanks a lot for all the help!



Answer



One way is to use MeshFunctions to plot F[..] = 0:


MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z, s1, s2},
Cos[s1] + Cos[s2] + Cos[s1] Cos[s2] + 1]},
Mesh -> {{0}}, MeshStyle -> {Directive[Thick, Lighter@Blue]}

The function F is the mesh function


Function[{x, y, z, s1, s2}, Cos[s1] + Cos[s2] + Cos[s1] Cos[s2] + 1]


where the equation F[..] == 0 is specified by the option Mesh -> {{0}}.


Here is a look at the solution, with a more complicated surface:


GraphicsRow[{
(* the curve + surface *)
ParametricPlot3D[{s1, s2, s1^2/2 - Pi s1 + Cos[2 s2]}, {s1, 0,
2 Pi}, {s2, 0, 2 Pi},
MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z, s1, s2},
Cos[s1] + Cos[s2] + Cos[s1] Cos[s2] + 1]},
Mesh -> {{0}}, MeshStyle -> {Directive[Thick, Lighter@Blue]}],


(* the curve *)
ParametricPlot3D[{s1, s2, s1^2/2 - Pi s1 + Cos[2 s2]}, {s1, 0,
2 Pi}, {s2, 0, 2 Pi},
MeshFunctions -> {Function[{x, y, z, s1, s2},
Cos[s1] + Cos[s2] + Cos[s1] Cos[s2] + 1]},
Mesh -> {{0}}, MeshStyle -> {Directive[Thick, Lighter@Blue]},
PlotStyle -> None]
}]

Mathematica graphics



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...