Skip to main content

version 9 - Are there tools for getting Mathematica 9 Notebooks working in Mathematica 10?


As often happens with Mathematica updates, nearly all of my notebooks no longer work as they did with the previous version. The upgrade from 9 to 10 has changed the appearance or introduced errors into almost every figure or graphic I create. I'm also encountering many errors in code that has worked without error since version 7. Many of these errors are quite surprising (e.g. calculations that suddenly give division by zero errors on the same data that I've always used, out of range errors when indexing lists that have not changed since running in version 9, graphics suddenly scaling to different sizes than before, etc.), and very difficult to locate (they are generally in large notebooks that I've been using for years).


Is there a tool for analyzing version 9 code for potential issues in version 10?


I've enabled the notebook compatibility scanning feature; but that does not detect anything in any of my affected notebooks:





As I spend hours going through my code to track down the sources of my many 10-induced bugs, I've come across the following, so far:



  • DateDifference now returns a Quantity so that comparisons need to be wrapped in QuantityMagnitude (documented).

    This leads to all kinds of errors, as many tests, filters and comparisons now fail (x≠x days for example), resulting in lots of empty lists.

  • DateListPlot seems to behave as if Joined is True by default (apparently not documented).

  • Default line weights and point sizes have changed in many (all?) plots, with now clear way to restore them to exactly what they were before.
    This is vexing if you've got any kind of document production or style guidelines you've been following: all your code will now need to be adjusted to produce the results you've had.

  • I DateListPlot, if two points have the same time coordinate, only one is plotted; the others are ignored.


In addition, I'm getting at least a strong subjective impression that many operations are much slower, especially file imports (e.g. importing several GPX files taking hours — so far — rather than minutes, in 9). There also appears to be some pollution of the global namespace taking place: I can get errors and very long delays in execution depending on the order in which I run different notebooks. I've had no luck tracking down the source of this behavior; but it's quite consistent.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - Filling between two spheres in SphericalPlot3D

Manipulate[ SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], {n, 0, 1}] I cant' seem to be able to make a filling between two spheres. I've already tried the obvious Filling -> {1 -> {2}} but Mathematica doesn't seem to like that option. Is there any easy way around this or ... Answer There is no built-in filling in SphericalPlot3D . One option is to use ParametricPlot3D to draw the surfaces between the two shells: Manipulate[ Show[SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], ParametricPlot3D[{ r {Sin[t] Cos[1.5 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[1.5 Pi], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t] Cos[0 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[0 Pi], Cos[t]}}, {r, 1, 2 - n}, {t, 0, Pi}, PlotStyle -> Yellow, Mesh -> {2, 15}]], {n, 0, 1}]

plotting - Plot 4D data with color as 4th dimension

I have a list of 4D data (x position, y position, amplitude, wavelength). I want to plot x, y, and amplitude on a 3D plot and have the color of the points correspond to the wavelength. I have seen many examples using functions to define color but my wavelength cannot be expressed by an analytic function. Is there a simple way to do this? Answer Here a another possible way to visualize 4D data: data = Flatten[Table[{x, y, x^2 + y^2, Sin[x - y]}, {x, -Pi, Pi,Pi/10}, {y,-Pi,Pi, Pi/10}], 1]; You can use the function Point along with VertexColors . Now the points are places using the first three elements and the color is determined by the fourth. In this case I used Hue, but you can use whatever you prefer. Graphics3D[ Point[data[[All, 1 ;; 3]], VertexColors -> Hue /@ data[[All, 4]]], Axes -> True, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/GoldenRatio}]

plotting - Adding a thick curve to a regionplot

Suppose we have the following simple RegionPlot: f[x_] := 1 - x^2 g[x_] := 1 - 0.5 x^2 RegionPlot[{y < f[x], f[x] < y < g[x], y > g[x]}, {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2}] Now I'm trying to change the curve defined by $y=g[x]$ into a thick black curve, while leaving all other boundaries in the plot unchanged. I've tried adding the region $y=g[x]$ and playing with the plotstyle, which didn't work, and I've tried BoundaryStyle, which changed all the boundaries in the plot. Now I'm kinda out of ideas... Any help would be appreciated! Answer With f[x_] := 1 - x^2 g[x_] := 1 - 0.5 x^2 You can use Epilog to add the thick line: RegionPlot[{y < f[x], f[x] < y < g[x], y > g[x]}, {x, 0, 2}, {y, 0, 2}, PlotPoints -> 50, Epilog -> (Plot[g[x], {x, 0, 2}, PlotStyle -> {Black, Thick}][[1]]), PlotStyle -> {Directive[Yellow, Opacity[0.4]], Directive[Pink, Opacity[0.4]],