Skip to main content

plotting - Probability density histogram with unequal bin widths



I am confused by output of Histogram and HistogramList for probability density ("PDF") when bin widths are not equal.


According to this and this pages and other sources, density histograms are computed by dividing counts by bar widths and total number of observations. But Histogram obviously uses another algorithm as one can see from the following example:


SeedRandom[1];
data = RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[0, 1], 15];
HistogramList[data, {{-2, 0, 1}}, "PDF"][[2]]
BinCounts[data, {{-2, 0, 1}}]/((Length[data] - 3) Differences[{-2, 0, 1}])


{1/6, 2/3}


{1/6, 2/3}




The outputs are identical when bin counts are divided by total number of observations minus 3 in this case. Why is it? What algorithm Histogram uses for determining this difference (in other cases I got other numbers)?


An addition


Rod has answered the original question but there is another issue: if one gives upper bin boundary equal to the upper datapoint value then this value will be excluded from the histogram. It does not contradict the documentation where stated that {{b1,b2,...}} will use the bins [b1,b2),[b2,b3),.... Here is an illustration:


HistogramList[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data] - 10^-13}}, 
"PDF"][[2]] - HistogramList[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data]}}, "PDF"][[2]]
HistogramList[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data] + 10^-13}}, "PDF"][[2]] -
HistogramList[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data]}}, "PDF"][[2]]



{0, 2.99205*10^-14}


{-(1/105), 0.0123342}



One can see that subtraction of 10^-13 does not alter the result significantly as expected but addition of 10^-13 changes it considerably because now the point Max[data] is included in the histogram. One can check this directly:


HistogramList[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data]}}, "PDF"][[2]]
BinCounts[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data]}}]/
Differences[{-2, 0, Max[data]}]/(Length[data] - 1)

HistogramList[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data] + 10^-13}}, "PDF"][[2]]
BinCounts[data, {{-2, 0, Max[data] + 10^-13}}]/

Differences[{-2, 0, Max[data]}]/Length[data]


{1/7, 0.462531}


{1/7, 0.462531}


{2/15, 0.474865}


{2/15, 0.474865}




Answer



Using SeedRandom[1] you get 3 observations higher than 1. When you use Histogram[data,{{-2,0,1}}] you're excluding those 3 observations...



If you exclude those 3 observations, now your probability (i.e., "PDF") should be based on 12 observations, and not 15...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...