Skip to main content

bugs - DSolve solution depends on ordering of equation


Bug introduced in 8.0 or earlier and persisting through 11.1.0 or later




I am trying to obtain the general solution, $G(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)$ to the very easy system of PDEs: $$ \partial_{x_3} G(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) - \partial_{x_1} F(x_1,x_2) = 0, \\ \partial_{x_4} G(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) - \partial_{x_2} F(x_1,x_2) = 0 \label{a}\tag{1} $$ and in so doing I am finding the following strange behaviour in Mathematica 10.4.


DSolve[
{D[G[x1, x2, x3, x4], x3] == D[F[x1, x2], x1],
D[G[x1, x2, x3, x4], x4] == D[F[x1, x2], x2]},
G[x1, x2, x3, x4], {x1, x2, x3, x4}
]


returns what I expect:


{{G[x1,x2,x3,x4]->C[1][x1,x2]+x4 (F^(0,1))[x1,x2]+x3 (F^(1,0))[x1,x2]}}

However, if I just reorder my input:


DSolve[
{D[F[x1,x2],x1]==D[G[x1,x2,x3,x4],x3],
D[F[x1,x2],x2]==D[G[x1,x2,x3,x4],x4]},
G[x1,x2,x3,x4],{x1,x2,x3,x4}
]


Mathematica returns nothing! This obviously doesn't cause a problem for this simple example. However, the system I get from some other portion of the code is given in the form of (\ref{a}) which, if plugged into DSolve in that form, gives the same null result. This is because if I have Mathematica Simplify the system, I get a system of the second form which gives a null result. I can do something hacky and have it solve for the derivative of $G$ in terms of everything else, but I would prefer to avoid this.


Update: This is not the only bug of this form in DSolve. It appears the order in which the different equations appear also matters (for 3 or more equations), see e.g. below


For


badPDE = {D[G[x0, x1, y0, y1, z0, z1], z1] == D[F[x0, y0, z0], z0],
D[G[x0, x1, y0, y1, z0, z1], y1] == D[F[x0, y0, z0], y0],
D[G[x0, x1, y0, y1, z0, z1], x1] == D[F[x0, y0, z0], x0]}

we get


DSolve[badPDE, G, {x0,x1,y0,y1,z0,z1}]


failing in the same manner as above, it echos the command. However,


DSolve[Reverse[badPDE], G, {x0,x1,y0,y1,z0,z1}]

gives the correct answer:


{{G->Function[{x0,x1,y0,y1,z0,z1},C[1][x0,y0,z0]+z1 (F^(0,0,1))    
[x0,y0,z0]+y1 (F^(0,1,0))[x0,y0,z0]+x1 (F^(1,0,0))[x0,y0,z0]]}}

I am adding this to my original bug report with WRI.



Answer



This is a workaround, as requested in a comment and extended to handle the updated problem. The idea is to solve the pde system for the derivatives so that we can put the derivatives of G on the left-hand side of the equation. There is a hard-coded internal pattern that assumes the problem will be set up this way. Solve returns these in the form of a Rule. Replacing Rule by Equal converts them back to equations, but with the derivatives on the LHS. Update: Additionally, the hard-coded pattern requires the derivatives of G to be in a the same order as the arguments' order, that is, D[.., x0] ==.., D[.., y0] ==.., D[.., z0] ==... This can be fixed by sorting the derivatives of G.



normal[U_] = Function[pde, 
Reverse@Sort@First@Solve[pde,
Cases[Variables[pde /. Equal -> List], _?(! FreeQ[#, U] &)]] /.
Rule -> Equal];

DSolve[normal[G]@{D[F[x1, x2], x1] == D[G[x1, x2, x3, x4], x3],
D[F[x1, x2], x2] == D[G[x1, x2, x3, x4], x4]}, G, {x1, x2, x3, x4}]

Mathematica graphics


N.B. We're assuming we've got a linear first-order pde system here. (A similar approach could work on higher-order systems, with some work.)



Example in the update


DSolve[normal[G]@badPDE, G, {x0, x1, y0, y1, z0, z1}]

Mathematica graphics


It seems the internal code assumes in the 3D case that the equations have been set up in the order


Grad[G, {x1, y1, z1}] == V /; Curl[V, {x1, y1, z1}] == {0, 0, 0}

This suggests this change to normal:


normal[u_, vars_] = Function[pde, First@Solve[pde, Grad[u, vars]] /. Rule -> Equal];


And this change in its usage, with the arguments being specified:


normal[G[x0, x1, y0, y1, z0, z1], {x1, y1, z1}]@badPDE

Here is another way to use normal to fix DSolve:


ClearAll[gradify];
SetAttributes[gradify, HoldAll];
gradify[code_DSolve] := Internal`InheritedBlock[{DSolve`DSolvePDEs},
Unprotect[DSolve`DSolvePDEs];
DSolve`DSolvePDEs[eqs_, {u_}, v : {x_, y_, z_}, c_, i_] :=
With[{gradeqs = normal[u @@ v, v]@eqs},

DSolve`DSolvePDEs[gradeqs, {u}, {x, y, z}, c, i] /; gradeqs =!= eqs];
Protect[DSolve`DSolvePDEs];
code
]

Example:


gradify@DSolve[badPDE, G, {x0, x1, y0, y1, z0, z1}]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...