Skip to main content

Computing kernels of a matrix in distinct cases


I have the following matrix:


{{c1 d1 - e1 f1, c1 d2 - e1 f2, c1 d3 - e1 f3, c1 d4 - e1 f4},
{c2 d1 - e2 f1, c2 d2 - e2 f2, c2 d3 - e2 f3, c2 d4 - e2 f4},
{c3 d1 - e3 f1, c3 d2 - e3 f2, c3 d3 - e3 f3, c3 d4 - e3 f4},

{c4 d1 - e4 f1, c4 d2 - e4 f2, c4 d3 - e4 f3, c4 d4 - e4 f4},
{c5 d1 - e5 f1, c5 d2 - e5 f2, c5 d3 - e5 f3, c5 d4 - e5 f4},
{c6 d1 - e6 f1, c6 d2 - e6 f2, c6 d3 - e6 f3, c6 d4 - e6 f4}}

From the way it's constructed, I know that the rank can be at most two. If I ask Mathematica to row reduce the matrix, I end up with the following:


{{1, 0, (d3 f2 - d2 f3)/(-d2 f1 + d1 f2), (d4 f2 - d2 f4)/(-d2 f1 + d1 f2)},   
{0, 1, (d3 f1 - d1 f3)/(d2 f1 - d1 f2), (d4 f1 - d1 f4)/(d2 f1 - d1 f2)},
{0, 0, 0, 0},
{0, 0, 0, 0},
{0, 0, 0, 0},

{0, 0, 0, 0}}

As can be seen, this is only valid when $d_1f_2\neq d_2f_1$. Furthermore, if I look at the left kernel, then Mathematica gives me the following basis:


{{-((-c6 e2 + c2 e6)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), -((c6 e1 - c1 e6)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), 0, 0, 0, 1},
{-((-c5 e2 + c2 e5)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), -((c5 e1 - c1 e5)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), 0, 0, 1, 0},
{-((-c4 e2 + c2 e4)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), -((c4 e1 - c1 e4)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), 0, 1, 0, 0},
{-((-c3 e2 + c2 e3)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), -((c3 e1 - c1 e3)/(c2 e1 - c1 e2)), 1, 0, 0, 0}}

Again, this basis is only valid when $c_1e_2\neq c_2e_1$. I need to find a basis in the case that $c_1e_2=c_2e_1$ and a row reduction when $d_1f_2=d_2f_1$. How can this be done?



Answer




You can use the option ZeroTest as follows:


mat = {{c1 d1 - e1 f1, c1 d2 - e1 f2, c1 d3 - e1 f3, c1 d4 - e1 f4},
{c2 d1 - e2 f1, c2 d2 - e2 f2, c2 d3 - e2 f3, c2 d4 - e2 f4},
{c3 d1 - e3 f1, c3 d2 - e3 f2, c3 d3 - e3 f3, c3 d4 - e3 f4},
{c4 d1 - e4 f1, c4 d2 - e4 f2, c4 d3 - e4 f3, c4 d4 - e4 f4},
{c5 d1 - e5 f1, c5 d2 - e5 f2, c5 d3 - e5 f3, c5 d4 - e5 f4},
{c6 d1 - e6 f1, c6 d2 - e6 f2, c6 d3 - e6 f3, c6 d4 - e6 f4}};

RowReduce[mat, ZeroTest ->
(PossibleZeroQ[Simplify[#, Assumptions -> {-d2 f1 + d1 f2 == 0}]] &)]//Short[#, 5] &



enter image description here



Similarly,


RowReduce[Transpose@mat, ZeroTest ->
(PossibleZeroQ[Simplify[#, Assumptions->{c2 e1 - c1 e2 == 0}]] &)]//Short[#, 5] &


enter image description here




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...